Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

data recovery !

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#25 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:15 AM

That is where I'm confused.. after a full format it is supposed to be storing a binary 0 in it....

It does write 0 over everything.

But data recovery is still possible through expensive equipment that professional recovery firms use, it becomes much less possible each time its overwritten, so if you overwrite the data 7 times, its 7x likely not to be recovered and will take 700x the effort to get that data back.

Its actually amazing to read about computer forensics.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#26 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

Would a huge magnet do the job? Making data irrecoverable?

#27 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:23 AM

Would a huge magnet do the job? Making data irrecoverable?

A super magnet might do the trick if you rub it for a few minutes making it completely impossible to get anything back. It might also ruin your hard drive for good lol. But that is only my educated guess.

Really, I'm not sure how data can be erased for good, I know that it can be erased to "good enough" by writing over it 20 times to where the money to recover it far out supplies the national debt of the US lol.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#28 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

As in.. 20 FULL Formats would do it? So that's like 40 hours.. on average of formatting (depending on the HDD size of course)

#29 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:30 PM

As in.. 20 FULL Formats would do it? So that's like 40 hours.. on average of formatting (depending on the HDD size of course)

That should do it :)

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download