Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

data recovery !

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#13 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:05 AM

Wow, magnetic changes! Seems kinda high-tech - if you're that clever, you won't delete the files in the first place!

Bingo, but in some cases (John can testify to this), your drive's file directories can become damaged in the mbr or partition record, and programs such as get data back get that information back when linux or windows can't even detect a partition on the hard drive.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#14 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:20 AM

You've lost me. ;)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#15 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:19 AM

You've lost me. ;)

Does that make me smart in the field of data recovery?

#16 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:21 AM

No, it makes me dumb in the field of data recovery. But have a good dose of +rep from me anyway. ;)

Woo hoo, you've got three bars now!

#17 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:28 AM

No, it makes me dumb in the field of data recovery. But have a good dose of +rep from me anyway. ;)

Woo hoo, you've got three bars now!

lol. No one is dumb at anything, it just isn't your expertise ;) Thanks :D

#18 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:47 AM

As you wish, morefood.

#19 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:59 AM

Not quite, TcM, not quite. However hard you try to delete files, they are not physically deleted on the hard disk until the space is needed by other files. The only thing that is deleted are the references to the data. Therefore, data can be recovered, if not the filenames. Bear in mind that if you want to recover a file/files, do it sooner rather than later, because if the space on the disk becomes used for something else... then the data really is gone.

If you actually want to format the disk and remove the actual data on it, use a program called a 'shredder'.

Well... did you read my post? I said that "Full format is supposed to replace everything" that is practically what you said.. as far as I know/learned at school when a full format is done, it takes so much time, because each and every bit on the HDD will be replaced with a binary 0.. that is, all the data is replaced. And a binary 0 means off...

Actually, there are ways to recover data that has been written over, however its much more difficult and costly because you need special equipment that can detect old magnetic changes on the disk. I'm glad that I have never needed data overwritten by anything other than a full format (which sets each cluster of the drive).

I can't imagine how that is possible.. but you seem the expert here...

#20 MeTh0Dz

MeTh0Dz

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:04 AM

Yeah morefood2001 is right. That is why high grade over writers go over **** like 7 times.

#21 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:06 AM

... as far as I know/learned at school when a full format is done, it takes so much time, because each and every bit on the HDD will be replaced with a binary 0.. that is, all the data is replaced. And a binary 0 means off...

I dunno, but I've read that data is recoverable even after a full format. Even when formatting, I believe the data is not actually overwritten until the section of the disk is needed for storing something else.

#22 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

.... until the section of the disk is needed for storing something else.

That is where I'm confused.. after a full format it is supposed to be storing a binary 0 in it....

#23 MeTh0Dz

MeTh0Dz

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:08 AM

Xav is right the data is still recoverable. Just read what morefood said.

Computer/Data Forensics.

#24 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:13 AM

Xav is right the data is still recoverable. Just read what morefood said.

Computer/Data Forensics.

As I said....

I can't imagine how that is possible.. but you seem the expert here...

I didn't study this in depth.. I can't imagine how if you have for example

and now it is replaced by

How can you get back the original 11110111 ....

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download