Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

data recovery !

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Acheron

Acheron

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

I was helping out a friend with a "program" (the same i had for my security class if you remember) and by adding a wrong extension to the command i deleted my entire hard drive !

Plz,i need a serious data recovery sortware that will get me back as much of my data as possible.

I dont care if its a freeware or not,just tell me what you recommend and i will find it.

(Yes,i do realize how stupid that was,I was not thinking straight,
this is gonna be a good joke to laugh about in the future but now i am dead serious )
Posted Image

#2 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:10 AM

How did it delete the files, 'delete', 'rm -rf', or 'format'?

#3 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:42 AM

Yeah.. that's the risk when you are playing with 'security programs'

I'd suggest you always test them in a secured environment like in a vmware session or a useless PC.

The only data recovery programs I could find are all basic.... Sorry can't find some powerful ones.

#4 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:39 AM

When data is deleted, it is not actually removed from the hard disk. It's only the references that are removed. Even after a full format, the data is still there, until it is overwritten. Therefore, it should be recoverable with not too much trouble, with any good recovery program. I can't recommend a particular one, though.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#5 Acheron

Acheron

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

I used the rd with the \S to clear the entire directory,i got some software but i didnt have time to test it yet. i am sure that i will manage now that i am more clam coz last night i freaked out.

Will let you know hoe it goes when i get it done.Thenx :P
Posted Image

#6 peterson12

peterson12

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:26 AM

I have used Stellar Phoenix data recovery software to recover all my data. This software is very easy to use and provides good recovery solution. This software provides recovery caused by virus attack, accidental disk format, file deletion, partition loss, lost or Missing files. You can try this software it will help you to recover all your data. Firstly download the software demo version from the company website.In demo version software completely scans your hard drive and you will be able to see the preview of your recoverable file. After getting desired results download the full version to complete your recovery.

#7 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:59 AM

I'm an avid fan of getdataback for fat32 or ntfs (there are 2 versions). I once performed a full format on my drive in ntfs and got all 20GB of my data back using this, so it works miracles! I couldn't believe the data was still there after a 2 hour format.

Data Recovery Software - Hard Drive Recovery - RAID Data Recovery
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#8 Dren

Dren

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:04 PM

I'm an avid fan of getdataback for fat32 or ntfs (there are 2 versions). I once performed a full format on my drive in ntfs and got all 20GB of my data back using this, so it works miracles! I couldn't believe the data was still there after a 2 hour format.

Data Recovery Software - Hard Drive Recovery - RAID Data Recovery

Yeah, definitely! I have used this more than 50 times, the FAT for my USB Key and my Digital Camera's SD and the NTFS for my external HDD's. Once I successfully recovered 120GB+ from a teacher's external HDD. RunTime Software GetDataBack rules

#9 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:32 AM

Full format is supposed to replace everything... isn't it?!

Wow, if this software rules that much I'm gonna bookmark it.

#10 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:55 AM

Not quite, TcM, not quite. However hard you try to delete files, they are not physically deleted on the hard disk until the space is needed by other files. The only thing that is deleted are the references to the data. Therefore, data can be recovered, if not the filenames. Bear in mind that if you want to recover a file/files, do it sooner rather than later, because if the space on the disk becomes used for something else... then the data really is gone.

If you actually want to format the disk and remove the actual data on it, use a program called a 'shredder'.

#11 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:36 AM

Actually, there are ways to recover data that has been written over, however its much more difficult and costly because you need special equipment that can detect old magnetic changes on the disk. I'm glad that I have never needed data overwritten by anything other than a full format (which sets each cluster of the drive).

#12 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:42 AM

Wow, magnetic changes! Seems kinda high-tech - if you're that clever, you won't delete the files in the first place!

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download