Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

What's First?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:15 AM

OK. You know it by now:

Home - Xav's Net Site

What needs improving the most? I want to do things in a logical manner - what's the worst (or best) bits about the layout so far?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#2 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

1) Finish the right hand menu
2) I don't like the color scheme you used for the top buttons (Orange and Red?)
3) The logo is a bit plain but I can't say much....

Other than that I think the site looks nice.

#3 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:57 PM

Cool. I'm surprised I managed to do it just using code and no WYSIWIG, but I've pulled it off (mostly), without any use of templates or help or anything. Except from you and the others. :)
I haven't decided on the logo yet. What colour scheme would you prefer for the nav menu?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#4 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

I don't have any ideas about what colors you should use, I'm no good with design but I don't like the current ones. Great job on your first page though!

Posted via CodeCall Mobile

#5 DevilsCharm

DevilsCharm

Programming God

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:56 AM

You're no good with design Jordan? I find that hard to believe!

#6 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:40 PM

I'll change the colour scheme. Maybe I'll take a few test results, and we'll see. I'll keep everyone updated. :)

#7 jage

jage

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

1. Color Scheme - is..horrible...myyyyy eeyyyyes :eek:
2. Format/layout - not very user friendly
3. Graphics - learn how to make them, maybe invest in Photoshop or something

Basically I couldn't get past the look/design, but I think that's what you wanted opinion on since you didn't code anything. It basically looks like it shouldn't be on the web.

Hope that wasn't too harsh, I wasn't trying to be :o

I just think you need to work a little more in site design/layout as well as looking into color schemes (there's lots of good sites and books on the topic). Once you get the hang of that, then I'd start learning the programming behind it. Definitely learn CSS and XHTML first!

#8 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

Eh? Learn CSS/XHTML? I coded the whole darn thing by hand in XHTML, CSS, PHP and JS! :D

I'm sorry you don't like it much. I was going for the colourful approach, maybe I'm no good at designing. :( Could you be more specific on its problems?

#9 jessje

jessje

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:21 PM

Colours is just a matter of taste i do not speak about that, because it doenst matter.
I found the font of the text "The official website of Xavier Hussain" extremely ugly.
The distance between the home | about etc. is"nt equal and therefore looks like **.
"Header 3
This is the third content block." Makes it look like some free web template which is slightly adjusted i would either place content or remove the block

Overal looks nice but graphics are not so good

#10 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:51 AM

I agree with you about the font of the slogan. I don't have Photoshop, only Paint.NET, so it's more difficult to do graphics.

It's not finished yet, so I can remove the Header 3 bit. I don't get any traffic yet, so it's OK. :D

The Home | About stuff aren't equal? How can they be equal when the words are different lengths? The CodeCall navigation bar at the top don't have equal cells. :confused:

Thanks for your comments. You obviously don't think much of the design, and I'm sure you know better, so I'm going to think about redesigning the whole thing. Thanks for your help.

#11 jessje

jessje

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

I agree with you about the font of the slogan. I don't have Photoshop, only Paint.NET, so it's more difficult to do graphics.

Don't know that, but you can download Photoshop elements for free these days. I have no clue which features are missing, but may it works for you.

The Home | About stuff aren't equal? How can they be equal when the words are different lengths? The CodeCall navigation bar at the top don't have equal cells. :confused:

Did'nt write that down very clear, the distance from the first | is larger then the other ones, the last one hast that also in my opinion you can better kill the stripes and make it look like a static menu with separation for the content.

Thanks for your comments. You obviously don't think much of the design, and I'm sure you know better, so I'm going to think about redesigning the whole thing. Thanks for your help.

It looks ok for a personal page, just wanted to help you find the weak / less nice spots. just like you asked.

#12 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

Color Scheme IMO.

#!CrunchBang Linux ~$ apt-get into it | #!(Statler:R20101205): OpenBox | Like Linux?
“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.”

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download