Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

opinions- Perl or PHP for sendmail?

sendmail

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

Hey guys,
When I finish writing my private messaging system in PHP I will be moving to writing an E-mail system. Obviously to retrive my mail I will be using Perl. But wich would be more efficiant for snding the mail PHP or Perl. I can already do a send mail in PHP but don't mined learning it for perl. Only thing I am woried about is efficancy. Opinions?
Posted Image

#2 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

PHP has the capabilities to send and retrieve mail [see: http://us3.php.net/m...emote.mail.php]. I've heard mailparse very efficient. I can't speak on behalf Perl because I've never used it. However, I would highly recommend using a single language for your entire system. Using PHP for part A and Perl for part B will be a huge pain in the arse.

#3 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:06 PM

I would only use one language as John said. PHP has capabilities for sending mail built into it, so I would use that but I've never used perl before so I don't know if it could be done with that any easier.

#4 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:17 PM

Ok, I am wanting to learn perl so that I can eventualy work my way up to making a web crawler, so taking your guyses advice and sticking to one language rather then mix and match I will do it in Perl. Thanks for the advice
Posted Image

#5 avatarofvelius

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:31 PM

awsome, ill work one it with ya if you want :D. I found out why my sendmail cgi wouldn;t work also. I knew the code was right, my hosting has the wunderbar smtp disabled x_x. oh, well. ill let you know if i find more scripts. Happy Coding!

#6 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Hey whats up? Thought you said you din't do forums. Give me a call when you get home if I am done with the home work we can do somthing. (lol and it isn't "your" code when you copy paste the whole thing from a tut) and like I told you before I have more storage and ban width then I know what to do with you are welcome to it and smtp is available on it. though for this project it would be best if we just work together. I din't get to work on the schema because Kiya had a dance recital last night.

Edited by zeroradius, 18 May 2008 - 07:34 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:34 AM

Heh heh heh. :D You two know each other?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#8 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

yah we are neigbors he has been my best frined since first grade even have the same B-day exacly one year apart. We graduated from vocational school ( that we did instead of reg high school) he got the highest award and I got the riseing sun award wich was the only other award. the teacher said we were pretty much equals so he gave matt the higher because he started out knowing more then me about the subject. We took it in turn to teach the teacher some basic stuff about HTML, flash and stuff like that. It was fun. Now we both Go To DeVry and major in CIS. Now that I started posting on forums i relised verry fast we both have a LOT to learn even in collage no one knows more then us at our location wich gives me my dobts about the place.

Edited by zeroradius, 18 May 2008 - 08:36 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:14 AM

Great! :)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#10 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

yah we are neigbors he has been my best frined since first grade even have the same B-day exacly one year apart. We graduated from vocational school ( that we did instead of reg high school) he got the highest award and I got the riseing sun award wich was the only other award. the teacher said we were pretty much equals so he gave matt the higher because he started out knowing more then me about the subject. We took it in turn to teach the teacher some basic stuff about HTML, flash and stuff like that. It was fun. Now we both Go To DeVry and major in CIS. Now that I started posting on forums i relised verry fast we both have a LOT to learn even in collage no one knows more then us at our location wich gives me my dobts about the place.

My cousin went to DeVry in Philadelphia PA.

#11 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

Cool, what did he think of it? they gave me a proffesor for web that din't even know how to do HTML all he knew was Java wich din't help much. Thankfully now that we are about to go into the advanced web classes he is gone.
Posted Image

#12 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

He enjoyed it. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sendmail

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download