Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How to Create a Template

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:25 AM

What's the best way to create a template, where I just have the content in the individual files. The layout needs to be stored in separate file(s), so I can update the design/layout all in one place, and it affects all the pages.

So far I'm just using PHP "include" statements to add in the different parts of the page. Is there a better way (and NOT with a CMS)?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#2 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:29 AM

When you say template, you mean the layout for example where the sidebar should be, where the header should be etc.. or the images?

#3 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:29 AM

Before my CMS days I always created a header.php and footer.php. I included these on all pages after that and it was fairly easy to update and maintain. I think a better method is to make a header.php, footer.php and index.php. The index file would have a select/case statement and receive a variable input. Depending on the variable it would automatically load the page the user is requesting. It would also include your header/footer.php file only once.

#4 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:56 AM

You mean like www .website.co.uk/index.php?page=home or something? Wouldn't that mean there would only be one page for SEO, or not?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#5 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

No, if the spider crawls those links and the content is different, there will be more than one 'page'. vB without the SEO mod is just like that.

#6 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:58 AM

And with the SEO mod?

#7 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:31 AM

I think a better method is to make a header.php, footer.php and index.php. The index file would have a select/case statement and receive a variable input. Depending on the variable it would automatically load the page the user is requesting. It would also include your header/footer.php file only once.

Why do you need the header.php and footer.php files? Can't I just have one main file - index.php - and within that I have the entire structure of the page - topbar, sidebar, footer at bottom - and just have a script block in the content section, to load the relevant content page, which contains only the content and no formatting?

#8 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

And with the SEO mod?

It's just more Search engine friendly... nothing less nothing more.

#9 Guest_Kaabi_*

Guest_Kaabi_*

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

Being search engine friendly is important though. For my personal website I've used PHP Include, I didn't think there was another way.

#10 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

Well, for my websites I use TPL.. it's very easy once you get around it.

It's great to have various skins and easily switch/change between one and another.

#11 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:12 PM

You mean like www .website.co.uk/index.php?page=home or something? Wouldn't that mean there would only be one page for SEO, or not?

You can use .htaccess and mod_rewrite to make your website SEO. Take a look at what we have done (thanks john!):

http://blog.codecall.net
which really is = http://www.codecall....tion=com_myblog

And google will see the virtual sub-domain and give us higher rank points because of it.

Why do you need the header.php and footer.php files? Can't I just have one main file - index.php - and within that I have the entire structure of the page - topbar, sidebar, footer at bottom - and just have a script block in the content section, to load the relevant content page, which contains only the content and no formatting?

That would work just fine. I like to have separate files for th e header/footer/index files because it is easier to edit IMO.

#12 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:04 AM

I see. Which is better - a single index.php with a GET variable, or a header/footer file embedded into every page?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download