Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      30 Sep
    rhossis

laptop hard disk seated beneath motherboard but with no access panel. 7 hours to replace :(

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      19 Sep
    Chall

I love it when you go to write a help thread, then while writing, you reach an enlightenment, and figure it out yourself.

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Developed by TechBiz Xccelerator
Photo
- - - - -

Interesting programming projects for C?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 weboweb

weboweb

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:04 PM

Hi folks,

Recently I've been studying up on C (and eventually C++) to take a break from high level languages.

I'd like to hear what you would suggest as a worthwhile programming challenge for a beginner in C. I've written an old console emulator in a higher level language, and was thinking of porting it down to C, however this is a bit of a leap for someone who has written little more than "Hello, World!" in this language.

Any suggestions for a project that would really take advantage of C and be accessible to a beginner (with some aptitude for programming)?

Thanks for your input.

#2 codemode

codemode

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:24 PM

Well if you want to keep it fairly simple you could make a DOS/Win32/Linux term mode program, such as a simple command line utility. How about something similar to the "more" utility that dumps the contents of a text file to the screen?

I started that way, just looking at simple DOS commands and writing my own versions of them using C.

#3 WingedPanther

WingedPanther

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17,157 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:57 AM

I would start by getting a book on C and working through the excercises. Once you've done that, writing a console emulator should be pretty easy.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#4 RavenE

RavenE

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:03 AM

Yeah, even have a look on google, there is a few goodwebsites for console emulators

#5 MeTh0Dz

MeTh0Dz

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:02 AM

An ARP Poisoner.

With custom packet build using raw sockets.