Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      18 Aug
    KodeKool

When faced with a wall of errors and no hope to fix them, remember the following "Programs always do what you tell them to, and seldom what you want them to, but eventually you'll run out of things that can go wrong and it'll just work. and that's the secret to good programming."

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Developed by Kemal Taskin
Photo
- - - - -

Interesting programming projects for C?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 weboweb

weboweb

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:04 PM

Hi folks,

Recently I've been studying up on C (and eventually C++) to take a break from high level languages.

I'd like to hear what you would suggest as a worthwhile programming challenge for a beginner in C. I've written an old console emulator in a higher level language, and was thinking of porting it down to C, however this is a bit of a leap for someone who has written little more than "Hello, World!" in this language.

Any suggestions for a project that would really take advantage of C and be accessible to a beginner (with some aptitude for programming)?

Thanks for your input.

#2 codemode

codemode

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:24 PM

Well if you want to keep it fairly simple you could make a DOS/Win32/Linux term mode program, such as a simple command line utility. How about something similar to the "more" utility that dumps the contents of a text file to the screen?

I started that way, just looking at simple DOS commands and writing my own versions of them using C.

#3 WingedPanther

WingedPanther

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17,004 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:57 AM

I would start by getting a book on C and working through the excercises. Once you've done that, writing a console emulator should be pretty easy.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#4 RavenE

RavenE

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:03 AM

Yeah, even have a look on google, there is a few goodwebsites for console emulators

#5 MeTh0Dz

MeTh0Dz

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:02 AM

An ARP Poisoner.

With custom packet build using raw sockets.