Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How to validate prospects?

validate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BAII

BAII

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:57 AM

I am playing with the idea of offering the ability to sign up for a free trial period for our software. My question is how would I go about validating the prospects that sign up for the free trial? In other words I am scared of opening up the application to our competitors?

Here's a little background info. We offer a web-based application now but you must go through our sales team to license it. The idea is to eventually move to a true SaaS product where users can sign up directly online. Any input is greatly appreciated.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

One way would be to handle the trial period through your sales department.
The reality is that anything you do can be circumvented by your competition. A web demo with a potential customer or defecting customer would allow the customer to show your competitor what your software does. They can then promise to "match" it in most any way. You will have a hard time keeping your features secret from your competition, but disclosing them effectively to your customers.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Sionofdarkness

Sionofdarkness

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:49 AM

As long as you are not a strong brand presence, I don't think you have to worry too much about your competitors stealing any of your application secrets.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: validate

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download