Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Beginning PHP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

#1 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

Hi everyone, if you don't know me already, I'm Xav. I'm mainly programming in .NET (C#, VB.NET, that sort of stuff), but I know HTML and some JavaScript.

So, I want to try and learn PHP. This is one of the few forums I hardly ever post in, and I want that to change. Plus, I would like to add some PHP functionality to my website.

First things first, though. What's the best way to learn? I would prefer not to have to spend any money, as I'm a tight git :D, so an online resource would be great.

I wouldn't mind a little enlightening, though. How is PHP integrated into webpages? How exactly do things work? Do you place the PHP inside the webpage, or does the HTML code trigger a separate file? Please help me on my conquest to learn PHP (and hence rule the world :)).
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#2 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

Moved to correct forum

#3 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:50 AM

Clookid wrote a nice tutorial on introducing PHP. http://forum.codecal...troduction.html

#4 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

Short, but sweet - so where does all the .php files come in? And how to I set up a simple form, that sends the data to the php bit, that outputs the result?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#5 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

renlok wrote a tutorial introducing forms. http://forum.codecal...p-tutorial.html

#6 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:19 PM

Thanks again!

#7 Martin_kp

Martin_kp

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:32 AM

If you want to see the code of a wesite to make your own, use Mozzila Firefox, go to an unencrypted webpage (to know weather it's encrypted or not, mozzila tells you in a msgbox form) , right-click your mouse, and click 'view page surce code'. A window is opened, and read the code, right away!!!

P.S.
I learnt this from a book called 'Zero Knowledge Password'.

#8 Martin_kp

Martin_kp

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:03 AM

The title and the index doesn't match. I tought this was for beginner PHP programmers.
:confused:

#9 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • 2313 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:02 AM

What's the best way to learn?

Get a great book (or internet resource) and start reading. While you're reading you shall think about the things you learn, and if you once think, "Hey! Why's that?", then go back in the book, and see if the question has already been answered previously.
Also, you will have to make some examples, and actually use what you have learned, in order to successfully continuing without forgetting what you previously read.

How is PHP integrated into webpages?

First of all, you'll need a server. This server will listen for incoming connections (also called clients) Every time a client is connecting, it will be serviced by the server, which is done in various ways. If the client is calling a PHP-file, the server will take the PHP-file and pass it to a PHP-interpreter. The PHP-interpreter will interpret the sourcecode, and return the generated HTML. The HTML will then be given by the server to the client, and the client will be able to read the document.

#10 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:17 AM

Thanks everyone! I actually learnt before these posts were posted, and I am now confidently building PHP pages!

@ Martin_kp: you don't need Firefox for that. IE will do. And this thread is not in the tutorials section, but in the forum section, so it's going to be some sort of question or other.

#11 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:38 AM

What is your current PHP Project?

#12 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

I'm just starting to redesign my website (Xav's Net Site). Don't bother going on it, as there's nothing decent there ATM. I'm steering away from the awful templates 1&1 provided me with, and creating my own using SSI and PHP.

However, I can't continue because no-one has replied to my question about the table cells. Could you help? I'm setting a table cell to "50px", using an external CSS style. In Firefox it's fine, but in IE it doesn't adjust the size. :confused:

Anyway, I'm a tad hampered, 'cause 1&1 don't supply any MySQL databases... sob sob...

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download