Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Internet blocked, but can ping!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#13 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:26 PM

Good point. Find a nice one, :)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#14 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

The problem is still there.. because the only teacher that has the right to block and give us access to the internet was the one who blocked it. We even asked the technician, he told us that that teacher blocked it.

#15 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:16 AM

Do the teachers have similar restrictions?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#16 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:05 AM

They do, but not much restrictions as we students :/... I did find a way round this, but that requires me to leave my home pc online and run linux on it, and linux on my laptop too, and I don't think that linux supports the type of security that my school uses.... besides that it's kinda too much hassle, but I'll see. Besides that I'm going to check if they blocked SSH too.. if not I can use that and the workaround would be simpler, if they blocked it..then bad luck :( But I bet they did block it...

#17 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:26 AM

You can be on a single network, but actually be on two different subnets, with different restrictions depending on the subnet.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#18 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:41 AM

Well, I don't know.. I know that we have a firewall software installed on our PC using a 'proxy'... actually it's a server in the other building acting as a firewall.

Now that I am mentioning this... I remember that at first we used to open this firewall software and go to proxy setting (or something like that) and we used to write the name of the firewall server for example 'firewallpc' (I don't want to mention the name here... and then it used to connect to the internet... but lately they changed something and even though we now write that, we still have no internet on the PC's. And on the laptops we used to have internet, but now that they changed something... we can only access internet in the other building.

#19 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:21 AM

If you try to access something you're not allowed to, it's actually against the law under the Computer Misuse Act (I think it's from about 1990).

#20 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

Why? I have access to the network... so? I will not be accessing anything I can't :)

#21 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:44 AM

I mean if you try and access the internet etc. when you shouldn't be.

#22 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:30 AM

I will not be accessing something that is blocked... hehe, how can I do that?

But to find something they haven't found and 'exploit' that .. is nothing wrong!

#23 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:28 AM

Oh, whatever. Go ahead and get arrested. :D

#24 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

Well.. thats what you think. Instead of telling me that I will be arrested... maybe you should try and help me to get around this.

To get arrested you have to make something illegal. IE against the law. I'm sure the law does not state 'DO NOT USE INTERNET AT SCHOOL' or 'DON'T USE A PING TUNNEL'

So... whatever.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download