Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Internet blocked, but can ping!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

Ok at school we have internet, but these guys just block the internet.. all we can access is the intranet. The strange thing is that we can ping all websites we want.. but if we open FF or IE it displays an error as if there was no internet (Like server not found in FF, and page cannot be displayed in IE)

So how come we can ping? Is there a way to 'exploit' the ping thing and instead browse the actual webpage? Any programs that might overcome this problem?

Thanks.

#2 TkTech

TkTech

The Crazy One

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:48 PM

A ping is a ICMP packet, most likely they aren't bothering to filter it.
Helpful CODECALL Links: Join Us, Guidelines, FAQ, Post a Tutorial

#3 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:18 AM

Well, today they modified some privileges.. and now all we see it a one-way sign and says ISABouncer... all we can access is the intranet.. BUT my school is split into 2 buildings and has 1 wireless network... the strange thing is that from one building I can access internet normally, and from the other building I can't. I mean it's 1 wireless network... how can this be possible?

#4 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

Very strange... perhaps it's two wireless subnetworks, each operating slightly differently.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#5 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

What do you mean?

BTW we have a login name and a password, not just a simple WEP key, and each user can be restricted from somethings.. for example the Admins can set my acc to have internet and can block internet to my friends... well idk if this can be of any help... just saying.

#6 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:12 AM

I thought maybe there's a new wireless network for the new building, but it uses the same internet connection. Or, it could just be new routers installed. Even though the network is the same, each router could have its own privilege settings.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#7 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:48 AM

Yeah, in fact. They have one wireless router in one building, then in the other building there is another router that connects to the other and this router supplies internet in the second building... but how come our teachers do have internet... while we don't? I mean for sure the router is not blocking port 80 or something.... because if it did... neither our teachers would have internet.

#8 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:39 AM

It could be a user privilege setting that blocks non-admins from leaving the local network. Windows Server has various settings that may be involved.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#9 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

We've got lots of restrictions at school:

@ 50Mb storage space limit
@ No Task Manager
@ No settings changed other than mouse options
@ No saving files on desktop
@ No doing anything interesting

See the problem?

#10 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:34 AM

Well we don't have that much.. everyone can have his own documents etc... But the internet... :(

BTW.. if it was a user privilege why would we have internet in one building and not in the other? If it's the same network.

#11 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

Maybe they haven't got round to configuring the router. Ask your teachers?

#12 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:14 AM

Ask my teacher? LOL if they don't want us to have internet, why would we ask them?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download