Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

What is Joomla?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

Being a member of CodeCall for a while now, I have been wondering: what exactly is this "Joomla"? No-one has ever told me. And what's "ionFiles"?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#2 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

Joomla is a CMS (Content Management System) and ionFiles is a download component built by CodeCall members for that CMS.

I'm also moving this to the correct forum.

#3 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:54 AM

OK... but what's a "CMS"?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#4 zorocke

zorocke

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

A CMS allows the adminstrator to add blog like content to the site, edit menus, and edit pieces of text displayed from an admin panel. Leaving no need to open up a HTML file every time a change is necessary. This is just my personal definition of CMS because these are the ways I use it on my site. I hear that they do other things though like run polls and stuff.

#5 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:37 AM

Is that what they use on CodeCall?

#6 zorocke

zorocke

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:48 AM

I believe CodeCall simply uses vBulletin, but I could be wrong.

#7 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:14 PM

Our forum is built on vBulletin; our homepage (CodeCall Programming) uses Joomla.

#8 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:14 AM

We've managed to fuse the two so they share users, content and more.

#9 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:35 AM

Very clever! How about all the forums and all that? How do you store the users/posts?

#10 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:19 AM

Very clever! How about all the forums and all that? How do you store the users/posts?

In a MySQL database.

#11 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

Oh - I thought scripting languages weren't allowed file I/O for security reasons?

#12 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:44 PM

I'm not sure what file i/o has to do with connecting to a database? Even so, most server-sided scripting languages such as PHP/ASP/Ruby/Perl have the ability to modify files on the file system.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download