Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Review my Computer programming forum

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#25 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

I'm on the verge of being +rep impressed. A bit more info perhaps?

Hmm... let's see what I can do...

In te GIF format, you can only use Indexed Transparency. Thıs means you can set one of the 256 colours ın the Indexed Palette to Transparent. When the colour ıs dısplayed, ıt ıs ınstead dısplayed transparent. Thıs ıs suffıcıent when you have straıght lıned ımages, lıne art etc.

HOWEVER - you cannot achıeve gradıents wıth the GIF format. Thıs ıs because you cannot set a pıxel to, say, 70% transparent. Therefore, smooth transıstıons are ımpossıble wıth GIF. If you try, you'll get jagged ımages, and ıt wıll generally look messy.

The PNG format allows you to set partıally transparent ımages. Thıs allows edges to 'fade ın' to the transparent background, thus lookıng more normal. However, the renderıng engıne whıch powers IE6 or below does not natıvely support Alpha Transparency - that ıs, dıfferent degrees of transparency. If you wısh to use PNG wth transparenc, you must employ a fılter, such as the AlphaImageLoaderFılter, whıch replaces the ugly slab of solıd grey wıth the proper transparent colour(s) of the background behınd ıt. For basıc overlays and backscreen effects, however, there are JavaScrıpt scrıpts whıch automate the process of forcıng alpha transparency, as well as other varıous methods of ımplementatıon.

Also, bear ın mınd that PNG-24 fıles are larger than the equıvalent GIFs, because they do not use LZW compressıon ın order to repeat sectıons of the ımage, and hence thıs may have an ımpact on how fast your pages load. :)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#26 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:11 AM

Very nice! +rep

#27 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:17 AM

Ha ha, thanks. :)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#28 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:20 AM

Bland.

#!CrunchBang Linux ~$ apt-get into it | #!(Statler:R20101205): OpenBox | Like Linux?
“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.”

#29 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:33 AM

I beg your pardon?

EDIT:
Oh, you mean the forum. :)

#30 bobwrit

bobwrit

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:52 AM

I beg your pardon?

EDIT:
Oh, you mean the forum. :)

Lol, Nice...

#31 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

I seriously thought you were replying to me. :)

#32 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:08 PM

Wow, and you're not even a burnout...

#!CrunchBang Linux ~$ apt-get into it | #!(Statler:R20101205): OpenBox | Like Linux?
“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.”

#33 bobwrit

bobwrit

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:22 PM

I seriously thought you were replying to me. :)

I would think you would.

#34 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:55 AM

My English isn't very good. :)

Even though I'm English, and my mother tongue is English. :(

#35 bobwrit

bobwrit

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:56 PM

I haven't noticed any mistakes so far.

#36 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:37 AM

Ok, well I am English, lived in England all my life, and speak nothing but English, so that's a good sign.

Oor eez eet? :D

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download