Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Print "Hello World"

hello world

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#13 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

Warum ist es notwendig für Sie, fünf unterschiedliche Sprachen zu erlernen? Welche Sprache sprechen Sie hauptsächlich?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#14 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:17 AM

Hang on a minute, R-G. You wrote:

Wie auch immer, das wird noch kommen.

Shouldn't it be:

Wie auch immer, wird das noch kommen.

Or does "however" start the sentence again?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#15 R-G

R-G

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:04 AM

Wie auch immer, wird das noch kommen?

This must be formulated as a question. What you wrote is a simple question.

Wie auch immer, das wird noch kommen.

This is a affirmative sentence in the German language and it is expressing a fact.

Warum ist es notwendig für Sie, fünf unterschiedliche Sprachen zu erlernen? Welche Sprache sprechen Sie hauptsächlich?

It is not optimally to use the "erlernen" verb in this sentence. The verb "sprechen" would just fit.

Welche Sprache sprechen Sie hauptsächlich?

English, German, Slovene, Croatian, Serbian and some others, but not fluently, so I'll not mention them. However, you don't need to use the "Sie" word, we are here in a digital community, you can simply use "Du".

Edited by R-G, 11 April 2008 - 05:08 AM.

Like an angel without a sense of mercy.

#16 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:49 AM

I've read it's politer to use Sie when addressing your elders. As I'm 12, presumably you're quite a bit older than me (considering you've been learning German since I was born), but if you'll accept "du" then ok.

How come erlernen doesn't work in this case? And I thought the verb is always second in a sentence? If "however" is the first, should the second be the verb, even in a statement?

Isn't "jedoch" easier to use for "however"? Or is it something different? Das kann ich nicht verstehen.

#17 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • 2313 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

I've read it's politer to use Sie when addressing your elders. As I'm 12, presumably you're quite a bit older than me (considering you've been learning German since I was born), but if you'll accept "du" then ok.

Yes, that's right, it's more formal to use "Sie," and not only to elders. But it's normally only used in real life and in written form (in articles, and not in chats, etc.) So, on the internet you're allowed to be informal.

#18 R-G

R-G

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:29 AM

First of all, I don't really think that ages here are important at all. I really respect and like people that have interests and are thinkers.

How come that the "erlernen" verb doesn't work in this case?

The string "zu erlernen" in German language means as you know, "something to learn". In this case I've learned all these natural language already, so you just need to confirm that I can speak them. So you simply use the string "zu sprechen".

Isn't the word "jedoch" easier to use for "however"? Or is it something different?

Yes, it is something completely different. We could translate it as "but" in the English language. However, here is a sample.

Marko ist groß, jedoch nicht so groß das er einen Zaun der größer ist als er überspringen könnte.

You see and understand the implementation?

Post Scriptum: I agree, there's no need to be official at all.

Edited by R-G, 11 April 2008 - 08:33 AM.

#19 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

Yes, I see now. Cheers for the advice.

#20 R-G

R-G

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:37 AM

I'm actually really wondering why you can speak the German language that well, although you're learning it just for two years. Pretty amazing, it seems you're very talented.

#21 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:50 AM

Thanks, R-G. Well, to put it as modestly as I can, I have an annoying knack for grasping things extremely quickly. Well, annoying for the jealous hordes of classmates, anyway.

#22 R-G

R-G

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

Well, annoying for the jealous hordes of classmates, anyway.

I'm not surprised.

#23 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:39 AM

Is that a hint of jealousy in your tone?

#24 R-G

R-G

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

You must be joking? Did you ever thought that it could be opposite?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hello world

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download