Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Ecrypting for Privacy

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#13 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

I agree. If I saw a padlock icon, I would instantly trust the site. :)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#14 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:53 AM

In my IT class we were thought to look for the padlock and only to submit information on sites with SSL but we didn't refer to it as that, we just looked for the padlock.

So for more security could you use SSL and PHP to encrypt information?

#15 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:30 AM

I suppose your teacher doesn't think you know about these sorts of things. I suppose you could do both, but it would be overkill.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#16 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:04 AM

Nope we don't have to know about these things, it's just a bonus for me that I do know about these things. You don't have to do both I don't think SSL, is enough to protect the information I think, but then you could be more secure sending encrypted text through SSL I think instead of plain text through SSL.

#17 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

Fair enough.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download