Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Some Questions :P.

delphi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fmwyso

fmwyso

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:37 AM

Hey, i am always asked tons of questions from friends whenever i tell them about Delphi. And i was wondering if anyone could give me the answers so i can know and tell them :P....

-- Is it low level programming? If so, how low is it :P.
-- Can it actually be used for a career?

Now to my real question :P... I need some help on Delphi...

FIRST QUESTION

I have never been able to sucessfully load tstrings for some reason... And i need it because i'm trying to access a ini.readsectionvalues. It always says, "abstract error".

Here is an example...

procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
var
strngs: tstrings;
begin
strngs := tstrings.Create;
strngs.Add('Test');
Label1.Caption := strngs.Strings[1];
strngs.free;
end;

end.

-- I'm perfectly fine with using a different char type, but it needs to be able to have a list and work with tinifile.readsectionvalues().

Second Question

I have it open a popupmenu while they are typing like if they put 'DEF' then it opens a popup and if they click it, it will add 'INE ' to the end. My problem is that i want users to be able to type while the popup is up... For some reason, it stops you from being able to type until you close the popup... Any ways to fix this?

---- Btw, i'm planning on making sort of an IDE for a scripting program. It has several DEFINE variables and FUNCTIONS so i figure it might help to have a listbox saying where they all are... Also gonna add some extra features :P.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

Delphi generally functions as a high-level language, but you can embed assembly code if needed. Also, it is one of the languages I use almost daily in my job.

For first question: I believe you need Label1.Caption := strngs[1];

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 poots

poots

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:13 AM

it's a very powerful and flexible language, unfortunately due it not being particularly well used it's not particularly lucrative
You can get away with using it like a more database friendly version of old visual basic or it can be used in proper enterprise environments.

The problem you are having with you first question, is firstly that you're requesting strings[1] rather than strings[0]
Delphi is a 0 based language so the first element will always be 0. This means to loop through stuff it's always to the items.count-1
The second problem seems to be related to the Tstrings object, you're far better off using Tstringlist, mainly because that's what the delphi helpfiles seem to recommend, and I've seen little reason to argue with them.

The second one sounds rather more complicated, I think popup menus will only respond to the first valid keystroke that matches the first letter of an option on the menu.
Honestly, I don't think a generic popup menu is going to do what you want, and off the top of my head I've not got an instant solution, though I may have misunderstood what you're trying to do

#4 HERBERTS

HERBERTS

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:43 AM

Hi all ,
Delphi is not a dead language , its still used on the market .I always use it in Report generation .I use it always in FastReport and Fastscript to produce quality reports and data analysis .You can check out Report production using FastReport , if you know delphi then try from FastReport site and check how much they use it , then you will know how much you can still depend on Delphi today .

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download