Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Largest USB Stick?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#25 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:17 AM

I thought Laptops were shock proof...

Laptops are a condensed desktop, they still have a hard drive and they still can shatter into a 1000 pieces.

One tip that I learned was, never move a laptop thats on sharply, it will cause bad sectors.

Also, laptops are more shock proof when the hard drive is properly seated at shutdown. Unfortunately, when you put your system into standby or hibernate, the hard drive shuts down with the read/write head in the middle of the disk where it left off, so shocks can cause bad sectors easily too. The only safe way to prevent damage is to shut down, then move your computer. Shutdown makes the read / write head return to a locked position.

Of course, I don't care about my data, I use network storage, so if my hard drive dies, oh well :-P Thats why you will see me carry my laptop while its on.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#26 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:27 AM

Anything with moving parts is vulnerable.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#27 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

Try the Panasonic tough book! That has a moving hard drive, but its shock proof. There are also the acer eee (not sure) series which use shock resistant drives which are very hard to break.

The downfall of these shock proof drives are they cost a lot more to make.

#28 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

Sorry, amendment - anything with moving parts is vulnerable, unless the manufacturer specifically makes a big effort (and hence raises the cost) to make it shock-proof.

#29 Egz0N

Egz0N

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1155 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:40 AM

I think that 8GB is the largest USB stick till now ..!

#30 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

Read a little up...

#31 marwex89

marwex89

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 2857 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:04 AM

I have one at 8GB, not too bad speed either I feel
Hey! Check out my new Toyota keyboaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

#32 Speedular

Speedular

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:32 PM

Interesting mmmm, I honestly thought that The USB Sticks stopped at the size of 8 GB; well I believe it is not anymore, they became like the Floppy disks now specially with the existence of the Portable external HDs.

#33 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:51 AM

No, USB sticks don't stop at 8 Gb. After a while you get into the realm of solid-state hard disks.

#34 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

Yeah, and they are becoming quite compact too... not as much as a USB Stick.. but it's not bad for an HDD.

#35 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:50 AM

I notice the capacities always come in binary numbers.

#36 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

What do you mean?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download