Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

What is your favorite OS?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#13 tovaritsh

tovaritsh

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:10 AM

ReactOS is actually behind Wine in Linux AFAIK. You can get most applications to run to a usable extent in Linux these days. Since Google got involved Wine has improved dramatically.

This is propably right, but I don't know any Linux GUI:s that would beat the Windows GUI in usability :P

This is personal preference, Im sure Linux has a lot more in regards to configuring the appearance and whatnot.

But I couldn't even get copypaste to work between all programs, in Windows it works almost everytime.

Oh and I use Windows 2000 look in XP, I just like the clean industrial style look, not any fancy graphics :D
I also have disabled all extra functionalities in folders, they just get in the way.

#14 Guest_Jaan_*

Guest_Jaan_*

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:07 AM

uuumm.. i like Windows XP but I have Vista atm.. and it sucks.. ****
it's pretty and and.. but nothing works on it :/

#15 TkTech

TkTech

The Crazy One

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:28 AM

Same. For random webdev, I still use my notepad on windows 3.1 with tabworks :) Just because its the only computer I have that hasn't crashed in 8 years.
Helpful CODECALL Links: Join Us, Guidelines, FAQ, Post a Tutorial

#16 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:18 AM

ReactOS? I never heard of it so I just went to the website and downloaded it, and installed on a Virtual PC, although it seems like I'm having some problems with the boot. Everything is loadng fine (even in debug mode) but then the screen stays blank.... Hmm

#17 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:41 AM

Almost everytime?

But I couldn't even get copypaste to work between all programs, in Windows it works almost everytime.

I've never had a problem with this in Linux. Even controlling Linux with VNC I've been able to copy in and out of the window.

#18 G_Morgan

G_Morgan

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:09 AM

This is propably right, but I don't know any Linux GUI:s that would beat the Windows GUI in usability :P

This is personal preference, Im sure Linux has a lot more in regards to configuring the appearance and whatnot.

Oh and I use Windows 2000 look in XP, I just like the clean industrial style look, not any fancy graphics :D
I also have disabled all extra functionalities in folders, they just get in the way.

That's the point, with Wine you can run the Windows applications with their UI's. Unless you are referring to the desktop environment, I don't think the Windows environment is excessively usable. The start menu is the most evil invention ever. It's the opposite of organisation. I'll take Gnome which automatically categorises my applications and configuration options by usage class over the start menu + control panel dumping ground every day of the week.

I suppose this is the blub paradox applied to UI's though. The Windows UI is god awful, it's organisation metaphor is throwing everything on the floor so you know where it is. That's what everyone is used to though, I suppose if you were punched in the face every hour for 20 years you might find peace difficult.

As for cut and paste. Never had a problem with it recently (used to be a serious problem), then again I tend to use the middle click buffer of the X-Server (select to copy, middle click to paste). Nice having multiple clipboards with different key bindings.

#19 G_Morgan

G_Morgan

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:13 AM

ReactOS? I never heard of it so I just went to the website and downloaded it, and installed on a Virtual PC, although it seems like I'm having some problems with the boot. Everything is loadng fine (even in debug mode) but then the screen stays blank.... Hmm

It's still in alpha. It used to have close ties to the Wine project until MS started suing ReactOS for using leaked Win2k source code. Took them 3 years to get clean and now they heavily vet contributions. Slows things down to a crawl. Still I don't see why they don't use more of the Wine DLL's, they should be further ahead than they are.

#20 tovaritsh

tovaritsh

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:12 PM

Almost everytime?

I've never had a problem with this in Linux. Even controlling Linux with VNC I've been able to copy in and out of the window.

Well maybe I have been using the wrong distros..
And thats 2 years ago when I tried Linuxes, propable they are better now.

#21 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:48 PM

It's still in alpha. It used to have close ties to the Wine project until MS started suing ReactOS for using leaked Win2k source code. Took them 3 years to get clean and now they heavily vet contributions. Slows things down to a crawl. Still I don't see why they don't use more of the Wine DLL's, they should be further ahead than they are.

Yeah ok, but I mean it won't even start! I just see the logo and then a blank screen...

#22 TkTech

TkTech

The Crazy One

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:39 PM

ReactOS isn't concentrating on portability ATM, they've started gearing up work on the interface.
Helpful CODECALL Links: Join Us, Guidelines, FAQ, Post a Tutorial

#23 G_Morgan

G_Morgan

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:35 AM

Well maybe I have been using the wrong distros..
And thats 2 years ago when I tried Linuxes, propable they are better now.

See the last two years is when all the good stuff started to happen. There's been a lot of work bringing sanity to the clipboard and such (the Portland project has been tackling those things that should be the same between desktops). There's still the odd problem, last time I tried it any material from Firefox copied into the clipboard still disappears when you close the window. Haven't tried this for over a year though so it might be fixed now.

#24 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:36 AM

ReactOS isn't concentrating on portability ATM, they've started gearing up work on the interface.

So that might be that it's not compatible?

Well I tried installing that on a Virtual PC, maybe thats the problem?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download