Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking in C++, 2nd Edition, Volume 1 and 2 -- PDFs

pdf

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DanC++

DanC++

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

Thinking in C++ is a great resource for new C++ers like myself. It's available in HTML forum at Bruce Eckel's, the author, site here:
Bruce Eckel's Mindview Inc: Books & Book Support

I prefer PDFs, and I had a hard time tracking down pdf versions. Actually, I eventually had to create my own from the HTML for Vol2. Anyway, I wanted to go ahead and get these posted for others who like myself prefer PDFs, and hopefully also let fellow newbies about this great resource.

Happy Coding!

DanC++

ThinkinginCpp_2ndEd_Vol1a2.zip
FileFront (Forum attachment is erroring out on me)
MD5: 32f6aa8b94965a42718124ddb5226e0e

p.s. Again, I personally created the Vol2 pdf, so let me know if anyone has any issues with it. Thanks.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:12 AM

I've looked over Thinking in C++ (as well as Thinking in Java), and can definitely second the recommendation. If you're looking for a free resource, this is a good start.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:39 AM

I only read a few chapters a long time ago, and they were really good. Now I should maybe read the rest.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#4 G_Morgan

G_Morgan

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Planet PDF - Thinking in C++

That's where I picked it up from. Eckel has written some nice books but has an amazing tendency to hate the languages he eulogised only a few years previously. C++ is great. C++ sucks, Java's great, use Java. Java sucks, Flex is great, ... :D Still he gives away a lot of stuff and that's cool.

The one thing I find that C++ books often lack in comparison to modern languages like Java (or C#) is they don't really go into the later topics like GUI development (for obvious reasons, Java has a standard GUI library, C++ doesn't). This is both a boon and a curse IMHO. I find my programming modules much easier because I learned to program from the command line and wasn't exposed to GUI's until much later.

Once you've had to fiddle with the lower level stuff it makes you far better equipped for when you inevitable go outside the norm in higher level languages.

Still it makes it more difficult to learn about GUI's and I could actually program GUI's in Java before I could in C++ (despite learning C++ 2 years before Java).

#5 DanC++

DanC++

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:59 PM

Planet PDF - Thinking in C++

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's where I grabbed Vol1 from. FYI their Vol2 version is a pre-release version though.

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:49 AM

There are some nice books out there for GUI programming in wxWidgets, GTK, and QT. (I own the wxWidgets book and like it.)

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#7 G_Morgan

G_Morgan

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:19 AM

There are some nice books out there for GUI programming in wxWidgets, GTK, and QT. (I own the wxWidgets book and like it.)

Oh I know there are books out there on GUI programming. My main point was that C++ books tend to focus on C++ while Java books tend to get distracted by Swing which is orthogonal to the language.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pdf

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download