Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      15 Nov
    duzamucha

Hi, I am final year Interior Design Student from University of Huddersfield. I am currently working on my final major project which is going to be linked to coding. I was hoping that you could help me with my research. I have prepared a short survey, it would be a massive help if you could fill it in for me. It takes less than 2 minutes to complete, I promise. Here is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/73XLJKK Thank you so much in advance!

View All Updates

Developed by TechBiz Xccelerator
Photo
- - - - -

Difference b/w c,c++ and c#?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 devilsmaster

devilsmaster

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:37 AM

1....what is the difference b/w c,c++ and c#

2....in my university i m learning c as the basic beginning language can i later learn the c++ and c# as well .
3...how long does it take to switch from C to c++ and from c to c#

4...is it good to start from c as beginner rather than c++ or c#?

#2 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:39 AM

1. It's impossible to say. There's so many differences between different programming languages. I will suggest you to read about them somewhere, like Wikipedia.

2. Do you mean on your university or on your own? If you mean the former, then we can't tell you. It's different from university to university what they're teaching. If the latter, then yes. It's not very difficult to change from C to C++ or C#, though you'll need to learn many new things.

3. It depends on how fast you're learning, and how much experience you have. If you're pretty comfortable with C, then it will not take too long to learn the basics of the other languages as well.

4. I believe so. C has not as far as many features as C++ and C# have.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#3 G_Morgan

G_Morgan

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:33 AM

C is procedural, C# is object oriented and has generics, C++ has all three. C# also has some narrow functional concepts like closures and lambdas, other than that C# is almost identical to Java semantically.

C is an easy language to learn but a difficult one to learn to use well (this isn't a contradiction, think chess, easy to learn, difficult to master). C++ is difficult/impossible to learn fully but is slightly easier to use than C. C# is somewhere in the middle but has the benefit of being garbage collected and that greatly adds to the ease of use. C# however is a MS language that only works fully on Windows while C++ and C will work on just about any computer in existence.

//edit - It is commonly said that C is a systems programming language, C# is an application programming language and C++ is a language that can do either. For learning to program though none of this is relevant.//

//edit2 - you can learn as many languages as you want. Nothing about learning one precludes you from learning another. The only really difficult transition would be from a functional language like Lisp or Ocaml to imperative ones like the 3 you mentioned. You could go through a career without ever bothering with functional languages though. I wouldn't recommend it long term though, it has benefits.//