Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Linux Programing language?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nefrit

Nefrit

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:29 AM

what is the best, and easiest programing language for linux delevlopment to learn?
:(:confused:

#2 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:49 AM

One of the easiest-to-learn languages is Python. It's also heavily supported on most Linux distributions.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#3 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:27 AM

C++ is a great language to learn for Linux. By default you have the gcc compiler free which you can start using right out of the box.

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:52 AM

Linux itself is written in C, with a large number of the major components written in either C or C++. Perl and Python are used for a lot of the scripting in Linux, and Java isn't uncommon as well.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:36 PM

C++ is a great language to learn for Linux. By default you have the gcc compiler free which you can start using right out of the box.

All linux OSes come with that?

#6 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:36 PM

If you are interested in basic scripting, use BASH. I have no experience with C/C++ on the linux platform, but Python is savvy, and comes with an excellent GTk wrapper.

#7 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:36 AM

GCC is available on all Linux platforms. It is necessary for installing new programs on a regular basis (though not as necessary as it once was).

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#8 G_Morgan

G_Morgan

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:03 AM

All linux OSes come with that?

Most have it in the default install but even on distros like Ubuntu it is trivial to install it (and even Ubuntu has it on the disc).

I'd say that Python is the easiest Linux language to knock out code quickly and has bindings to all the important libraries.

I'd learn C though as well. C is universal in Linux, whatever other language you use there will be the opportunity to link in C code and as a result you usually make code interact with third party code via C.

Take Python. A fine language in itself but if you need break neck performance it is traditional to write key sections in C.

#9 upredsun

upredsun

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:12 PM

c is the best!!!!!!!

#10 bartonski

bartonski

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

C is powerful and fast, but easy, it ain't (you have to allocate your own memory in C, also string manipulation is no fun). Bash has the advantage that anything you can do on the command line, you can do in a bash script.

Perl, Python and Ruby are all reasonably easy to get started in; each has its strengths and weaknesses, and each is more powerful than Bash in its own way.

I would get comfortable in Bash, then move to Perl, Python or Ruby.

#11 monkey_instinct

monkey_instinct

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:01 PM

Personally I don't use bash very often. I can do anything that can be done on bash with Python equally easy. Python is a great language. What I really like is the variety of modules you have access to on the core libraries. I would say its the best language for linux. It's so good that Ubuntu supports it directly.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download