Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How would you rate your web design skills?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#25 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

I think that's probably what were gonna do, I know we start CSS later, so I'll think that's what's gonna happen.

Like all we worry about now, is getting the code to work.

It's hard to tell myself to stop using quotes and closing paragraphs and so on.

#26 DevilsCharm

DevilsCharm

Programming God

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:36 AM

I know most of the people here are great at coding applications, but apparently it doesn't carry over so easily to web design. Me, I'm a few levels below beginner.

#27 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:43 AM

John and Jordan own a web hosting company, and lots of us are skilled web designers - I know Jaan has a knack for PHP, and as for TcM... he's just legend. :D

How about giving web design a go? It's great to see your own site nestled in with Google's other search results, and has lots of ability to write scripts/apps within the pages.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#28 phpforfun

phpforfun

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

I think im getting better, still somewhat of a noob I guess, lol.

#29 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

You've even got 'php' in your bloody nickname! I think you qualify for a decent web designer. :)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#30 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

I'm getting better also, finished the section of my course with CSS and HTML. Nothing really new to me but I got some practice.

Were starting to use Dreamwaver soon, which will be new to me.

#31 phpforfun

phpforfun

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:22 PM

lol, Thanks Xav

Chili5, dreamweaver is the easiest thing to use, but get ready for it to give you some errors, its not the BEST thing out there, but I still like it.

dont use it because you dont know enough HTML or Javascript, use it because it makes it much faster to code.

#32 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:28 PM

We did HTML and CSS by hand first with notepad before starting in dreamweaver so we can fix any mistakes that it makes and have better control.

I still prefer to write all my code with a text editor because I get better control.

#33 phpforfun

phpforfun

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:37 PM

Exactly :)

Just start PHP

#34 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:58 PM

I'm doing some of that on my own time. Dreamweaver is part of a school course so I have not much choice but to learn to use it.

#35 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:59 AM

We had to use an ancient version of Dreamweaver. It's honestly no better than Microsoft Visual Web Developer, unless you really are a noob at how web design fits together.

#36 Sionofdarkness

Sionofdarkness

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:54 AM

Dreamweaver being on par with a Microsoft application? I just can't imagine that, I always think of Dreamweaver as such a great web design program, although I suppose an older version would have more flaws.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download