Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Are anti-virus programs a real necessity?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#13 Aereshaa

Aereshaa

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

Antivirus programs are necessary unles you use linux. Or bsd. Or solaris. Or AIX. Or, I dunno, ANY unix-based OS? Viruses can only infect you if your OS has no proper permissions system, and if your OS allows an external source to execute arbitrary cod with system priviliges. Because of the way unix is built, only the user can execute code, and only the user can decide what permissions to give the code. Under unix, antivirus programs are pretty much irrelevant.

#14 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:39 AM

I think that anti-viruses are good to install on a linux computer as well.

and yeah it is good to make backups which unfortunately i can't. :(

#15 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:45 AM

Why can't you make backup?

#16 Aereshaa

Aereshaa

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:12 AM

Ya, they're 'good', but for those who are careful about not running just any programs, not necessary. The way unix is built prevents websites from downloading and executing programs without your permission, and even if one did accidentally run a malicious program, it couldn't screw up the entire computer, just that user's files.

#17 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

It's not just Windows viruses are written for. Macs and Linux both suffer from viruses, albeit on a lesser scale, and even things like Xbox 360s have been subjected to viruses.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#18 MeTh0Dz

MeTh0Dz

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

Hmm guess so, I'd never heard of a Blue Hat hacker. Always generalized hackers as being white or black (lol).

And anyways 'I Dee Ten Tee' errors cause the majority of viruses.

#19 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hmm guess so, I'd never heard of a Blue Hat hacker. Always generalized hackers as being white or black (lol).

I never knew about blue either, but I knew about, white, gray and black.

#20 billy786

billy786

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

I think even for the most experienced user an antivirus is a must, heard of drive by downloads? rootkits? They can install stuff into your system by visiting a website and a rootkit can hide things from the antivirus. So the question i think we should be asking is, is whens the next level antivirus comming with advance protection. Not norton or symantec which can easily be bypassed ;)

#21 Aereshaa

Aereshaa

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:36 PM

It's not just Windows viruses are written for. Macs and Linux both suffer from viruses, albeit on a lesser scale, and even things like Xbox 360s have been subjected to viruses.

This is a common misconception. The simple fact is that on a unix-based OS, it is IMPOSSIBLE for a website to create executable files. A file must be chmod'd +x before it can EVER execute. Unix, when implemented properly (linux, bsd (which includes mac os X)) is effectively virus-proof. The only threat to a unix-based system is that of trojan programs, which can easily be detected. And even if I did execute a virus, it would only be able to corrupt MY files, and not system files or others whose permissions prevent my userid from editing them.

for more info, try:
File system permissions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Note to new Linux users: No antivirus needed
The short life and hard times of a Linux virus
Linux vs. Windows Viruses

... that seems enough.
Ha, wow, I usually don't cite sources.

#22 MeTh0Dz

MeTh0Dz

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:04 AM

Unix, when implemented properly (linux, bsd (which includes mac os X)) is effectively virus-proof.

That is simply not correct. I will find some sources on viruses that have appeared on these systems, because they have.

A List of Linux Viruses... Linux malware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mac Virus Links...
Macs no longer immune to viruses - Security - MSNBC.com

Viruses and the Mac FAQ
If you don't want to read that entire thing ^^^, it says there are about 40 known Mac OS viruses.

Mac Viruses By The Numbers - Word Macro: 553, Classic Mac: 26, OS X: Zero || The Mac Observer
This site says that McAfee has 612 virus in their library, then they do some figuring and say there may be as little as 26 actual viruses though, as a result of hoaxes and other things.

Edited by MeTh0Dz, 27 June 2008 - 06:10 AM.

#23 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:53 AM

And to back up mine and Methodz's statements, I read in a computer magazine the information that I posted. All popular operating systems are open to malware - the most popular receives the most attacks, because lots of people use it.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#24 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:59 AM

Yup, all Operating systems are vulnerable. It's impossible, everything has flaws, bugs, security issues etc...

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download