Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

XHTML - Transitional or Strict?

XHTML HTML xhtml

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:11 AM

Ok I have an assigment, and I'm making it XHTML Strict 1.0, but the validator validates it as even transitional valid. So I say.. what is the actual difference between the two?

#2 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • 2313 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:11 AM

Strict is more strict than transitional, when it comes to different tags, etc. Transitional supports some of the old stuff from HTML 3.2 - 4.1, while they're removed when using strict.
In generally, you can say that everything which works in strict will work in transitional, but everything which works in transitional will not work in strict.

An example could be the U-tag. It's not supported in strict, but supported in transitional.
<!-- This work with a transitional doctype, -->
<!-- but not with a strict doctype. -->
<u>Hello, World!</u>

If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#3 Death Slaught

Death Slaught

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:27 PM

Use this validator The W3C Markup Validation Service. It's made by the W3C themselves.

- Death

#4 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:51 PM

Yeah, I used that to validate my project.

Thanks for the validation, so transitional is more 'tolerant'

#5 Fjeddy

Fjeddy

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:16 AM

I think of it more as a way to ease oldtimers with HTML into XHTML. W3schools has a list of tags and that shows which tags are deprecated and not.

[url]http://www.w3schools.com/tags/default.asp[url]

To the right in the list there is a row called "DTD" this shows which Doctype Definition the tag works in:

S - Strict
T - Transitional
F - Frameset

As you might notice those that only work in "T" and "F" are "Deprecated", these are to be avoided, since they will be removed totally in the future. Most of the deprecated ones are tags that are used to format text or similar things that should be done with CSS.

Also, this is a nobrainer really, but did you declare the correct Doctype Definition?

#6 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:48 AM

Yeah of course I did declare it as strict, but when I changed the doctype from Strict 1.0 to Transitional 1.0 it still showed no errors.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download