Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      18 Aug
    KodeKool

When faced with a wall of errors and no hope to fix them, remember the following "Programs always do what you tell them to, and seldom what you want them to, but eventually you'll run out of things that can go wrong and it'll just work. and that's the secret to good programming."

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Developed by Kemal Taskin
Photo
- - - - -

How to implement LIFO and FIFO method

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anantabd

anantabd

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:18 AM

Dear all i am using ms access database and VB in front end. How i will implement FIFO and LIFO method in inventory. Please give me the database structure and logical process.

#2 kkelly

kkelly

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:46 PM

If you use an Autonumber field as the primary key in a table you could retrieve the first and last record either with the first and last aggregate functions or the min and max functions on the primary key. Like:
SELECT FIRST(ID)
FROM myTable
ORDER BY FIRST(ID);
or
SELECT MIN(ID)
FROM myTable;
If your database requires a time/date stamp then the min and max functions on the time/date field would work. Like:
SELECT MIN(DateTimeField)
FROM myTable;
Note that the above SQL only returns the value of a single field.

Another way you could write the SQL to return more than just a single field is with the TOP function. To get the first record:
SELECT TOP 1 *
FROM myTable
ORDER BY ID;
To get the last record:
SELECT TOP 1 *
FROM myTable
ORDER BY DateTimeField DESC;
You could make two queries. One called GetFirstAsset and one call GetLastAsset, then execute these queries (Stored Procedures) from the Visual Basic code.

#3 kkelly

kkelly

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

Also, I just wanted to mention that it is best to avoid compound SQL statements. A well structured database really has no need for them, and they can be prone to SQL injection.