Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Favorite WYSIWYG

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#25 jclarke

jclarke

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:09 PM

Because Im poor of course:p
$50 is lot of money for me.

Im using the test version of it right now, but I think I should buy the whole package.

There are many free tools too but most of them are hard to figure out.

$50 is a lot of money, yes. But the software and online downloads should be free though, but it might have rely on to these serial codes.

There is plenty of other alternatives to do programming coding. ;)

#26 fmwyso

fmwyso

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:20 AM

Dreamweaver is a good program, and under heavy development by the Adobe team. It supports syntax highlighting and editing for many web and database languages.

I disagree in more ways than a million.

Adobe bought out DreamWeaver from Macromedia and practically all they added is gloss, extra cost and CS to the name.

-- HOWEVER --

Dreamweaver is an awesome product... But my point is that Adobe had nothing to do with that.

#27 jclarke

jclarke

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

That's true. And am curious to see what's like though.

#28 Fjeddy

Fjeddy

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:38 AM

Didn't Adobe buy the entire Macromedia company?

*I'm a faithfull follower of Mr. Zeldmans teachings about the importance of following web standards. And in my oppinion, dreamweaver (that is "Dreamweaver 8", as I haven't tried any of the later versions) didn't even try to encourage the use of correct MIME-types, XML-declarations, (and why NOT to use) inline CSS/Javascripting, **, not even Doctype definitions where mentioned! It is designed for new users, and new users usually don't have a clue about those things. This could easily be solved with perhaps a pop-up giving a brief tip about what to use and why. So why not go the extra mile and add this?

...No wonder why 99% of the web isn't complying with W3C's guidelines :(

PS. If Macromedia "corrected" this in the later versions; spank me. DS.

*I Just remebered that the rules state that "...brief posts that add nothing at all to the topic at hand." -is considered spam, so I added this little rant. :P

#29 fmwyso

fmwyso

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:30 AM

I disagree with following complete web standards... If we followed the standards of many things, we wouldn't evolutionize develop or advance. We'd still be adhering to html instead of jumping up to css, xHTML, DHTML, etc. If we try to stay the same, we won't stay above... We are able to advance simply because we don't always adhere to every single little rule that some guy/company made up. It is through difference we find advancement, and it is through advancement we find success.

I mean, sure it challenges iexplore and firefox and every little browser to work harder... But that is just what we need. **, if we followed standards computers wouldn't be made. Standards can be explained as restrictions and that is just what they are. They restrict our possibilities, and they make us stay behind. If i had to choose between making a company actually start working to make a living while advancing and developing as opposed to staying the same and letting the rich people not have to work as hard... **, i choose to make those rich people suffer.

People become a programmer to develop new code, to create new things. Not to follow everyone else's code and then change "This is my site" to "This is his site".

Dreamweaver owns even if it did change some of the ways code is written.

#30 TkTech

TkTech

The Crazy One

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:39 AM

Last I checked, you could create a "strict" file for any of the languages it supports that would enforce standards, or at least try to automatically modify it as best it could.
Helpful CODECALL Links: Join Us, Guidelines, FAQ, Post a Tutorial

#31 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:41 AM

I don't like to use WYSIWYG editors but I'm required to know how to use dreamweaver so thats probably my favorite.

----------------
Now playing: 80s- Styxx - Mr.Roboto
via FoxyTunes

#32 Guest_Kaabi_*

Guest_Kaabi_*

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:37 AM

I assume you're required to know how as part of your job.

#33 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:02 AM

Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition is a free, yet comprehensive editor. :)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#34 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

I assume you're required to know how as part of your job.

Nope, I'm in a class where we make web sites and we use dream weaver.

Dream weaver is good cause it supports a lot of web languages but I prefer to use a text editor with syntax highlighting.

Visual developer is OK, not quite as good as Dream weaver but it does support ASP.NET so it is good if your into ASP.NET.

#35 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:08 AM

There's one main reason I use VWD instead of Dreamweaver:

$dreamweaver = £400;
$webdeveloper = £0;

if ($webdeveloper < $dreamweaver)
{
echo "I'm gonna use VWD.";
}
else
{
echo "I'm gonna use Dreamweaver.";
}

If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#36 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

True that Visual Web Developer is free but if your into PHP, it's almost useless to you. If you get dreamweaver it allows you to use ASP, JSP and PHP.

I have VWD and Dreamweaver but I prefer Dream Weaver because you can do more with it.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download