Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Do you write html in notepad?

HTML

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#25 domestic

domestic

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:56 PM

i used dreamweaver and notepad++, usually at the same time. While this seems silly, it allows you to be more specific (dreamweaver has habits of doin weird things when u want to do somthing simple. However, if you wanna do something such as align, formats, tables etc, the dw is good for doing it fast and easy. Oh and i also keep the webpage open in firefox just to see how its looking.

#26 ETbyrne

ETbyrne

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:45 PM

I use notepad2 - the original notepad stinks pretty bad. I like that you can change the color formatting in notepad2, kind of a cool little feature. :)

#27 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

I'm surprised at the number of people who use notepad here. I distrust code generation but notepad isn't even a good text editor and uses funny linebreaks.

Well maybe you are true, but knowing the code is a very positive thing!

#28 Death Slaught

Death Slaught

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:00 PM

I prefer text editors (Notepad because I'm on Windows). Programs like Dreamweaver are great, but I personly hate them. When using them you're not learning anything, the programs doing it all for you. Doing the HTML yourself helps you in the long run, and makes you less prone to mistakes.

Thanks, Death

#29 G_Morgan

G_Morgan

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:40 PM

Well maybe you are true, but knowing the code is a very positive thing!

That's why I said I distrust code generation. It's just Notepad is lacking every feature you can imagine. You could literally write a better editor in about an hour. There are many good free text editors for Windows with all the appropriate tools that it doesn't seem necessary to endure the pain that is Notepad. Unless a editor has at least auto indentation, syntax highlighting and multi buffer editing I wouldn't bother with it. That's setting the bar quite low as well IMHO.

There's one exception to the code generation rule as well. That's code generation you define yourself, naturally you understand that. Lisp tends to do a lot of this and it can save you many hundreds of lines of code.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download