Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Decompiling a Prog

authentication decompile compile

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 7up

7up

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:34 AM

Hey there,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if it isn't MODs please move :P

Right back to the thread. I decompiled a VB program, because I want to learn how to remove an authentication. I was wondering if anyone could give me some help on things to look for, and coding that needs to be removed?

Any help is needed :D

#2 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:48 AM

It's hard to say what you should do, because we don't know the code you've got from the decompiling. If we knew the code, there would be multiple answers as well. There's so many ways to "fix" applications.

First of all; usually you don't decompile an application to "fix" it. You're using a debugger, or other tools (could be a hex-editor as well.) With a debugger you're tracking down each one of the assembly mnemonics there's being executed, and see if you finds something useful.

One way to "fix" an application would be to track down the place where you're entering the authentication-key. Then you could reverse the comparing-part. Then the application would work in the way, that every time you enters a valid key, the application would produce error, and every time you enters an invalid key, the application would let you by.

I will not go into details, because CodeCall is not the right place to talk about cracking, and other related topics. If you want to get a more detailed explanation, you need to find some other website, or some tutorial. There's many of them.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#3 7up

7up

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:53 AM

Thank you for your help :D
I wouldn't considering it cracking. I would just like to learn how to do it.

The program I used was VB Decompiler. I would like to remove an authentication login, not a serial. When this program runs, it gives you all the files; form files, binary files, Basic User Control, VB Modules. Does this make sense?

#4 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:59 AM

I know how decompilers works, but I don't know what's the content of those files - it depends on the application. It's like saying, "I've a file 'main.cpp', can you help me fixing some bug I don't know about?" This will not give us a living chance of helping; we don't know the bug, and we don't know the code. In this situation; we know your problem, but we don't know the code.

It's hard to really help you, and I don't think you should post all the files in here - like you said, there's many of them. I'll suggest you to find some information about the topic, and start from the ground and move your way up. Remember, it takes time. You'll probably not be able to "fix" your application in the first couple of days. At least, there's a lot of information about the topic, so it shouldn't be hard for you.

If you think it's hard to find something, then open Google, and search on terms like "visual basic decompiling," "reverse engineering," etc. Depending on what you wants to do.

Good luck!
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#5 7up

7up

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:01 PM

Thanks alot :P Great man you are :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: authentication, decompile, compile

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download