Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

- - - - -

Intel or AMD

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#25 gszauer

gszauer

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:46 AM

Good point.

It is the mark of an educated mind to entertain a tought without accepting it

If my post was helpful, please help me build some rep Posted Image

#26 gszauer

gszauer

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:05 PM

So, i just got a new laptop for work.
I have joined the AMD side!
(For the moment anyway)

It is the mark of an educated mind to entertain a tought without accepting it

If my post was helpful, please help me build some rep Posted Image

#27 random guy

random guy

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

the only hope for amd is if they integrate graphics into the cpu better than intel. technically intel is the largest gpu manufacturer in the world but amd owns ati which produces faster gpu's.

they both are expected to integrate gpu's into hte cpu socket for their next releases. i suspect intel will do better at it though since their gpu's (although slower) are MUCH more power efficient and produce WAY less heat. amd processors which are already hot mixd with the ati team's total disregard for heat or power management either leads to an oven of a system.

intel is on the top now and i think it will stay there for at least another generation of cpu's if not more.

#28 G_Morgan

G_Morgan

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

Integrating GPU's into the CPU? That makes no sense whatsoever. It's been shown historically that building one size fits all CPU's is simply expensive and rigid.

#29 random guy

random guy

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:03 AM

Intel GPU/CPU combo in 2009? - Neoseeker News Article

one of the first ones i found on google just now. first read about it in maximum pc magazine.

i am not saying it is a good/bad idea, they are just doing it.

#30 G_Morgan

G_Morgan

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:11 AM

Not sure of the benefit of it TBH. Unless they are doing it in order to control the data channels through the machine in support of TC?

#31 random guy

random guy

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:49 AM

tc?

well i graphics cards offload cpu usage considerably. maybe that is the idea. since gpus are like a million times faster than cpus at floating point calculations etc. (much slower at logic though). keeping it close by reduces the travel time.

so reasons are there, how valid are the reasons when you know that it will make the cpu hotter is another arguement.

#32 G_Morgan

G_Morgan

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:47 AM

TC is trusted computing. Basically it's a combination of DRM, special hardware and contrived software to try and create a OS which cannot be used to copy HD-DVD/Bluray/whatever but can still play it. Well TC is more and less than that but it is what it's being used for.

Some of the demands from content providers have included full integrated circuitry so that people cannot tap channels internally. Hard to tap transistors.

#33 random guy

random guy

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:07 PM

oh cool. i am amazed how far they go to prevent that kinda stuff now a days. i mean if it was dvd protection i would understand sorta but who has a blueray/hddvd player. but i may just be a special case as i dont even have a dvd drive in my computer...

#34 sania21

sania21

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

hi thr!!

i think AMD is best!!!

#35 atomicSpatule

atomicSpatule

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:14 PM

Intel all the way, though AMD had a good idea integrating memory and processor, I think if intel did that too AMD would be in an even worse situation than right now.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download