Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Who made HTML?

HTML

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 DevilsCharm

DevilsCharm

Programming God

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:32 AM

I think it was the W3C, as I saw in another topic. But coding has always been a mystery to me, as in, how it works. Can the people who made HTML code change things, like, add a new tag, and then anybody can just use that tag and it will work? How does that work? Does the change propagate throughout the world or something? Whoever answers all this will make me a very satisfied person.

#2 sankarj

sankarj

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

Then the W3C adds a new tag, browsers will have to update in order to reflect the new tag. Coders can then use the new tag and the updated browsers will use it correctly.

#3 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

Then the W3C adds a new tag, browsers will have to update in order to reflect the new tag. Coders can then use the new tag and the updated browsers will use it correctly.

Some browsers will display it correctly :D

#4 sankarj

sankarj

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:17 AM

Some browsers will display it correctly :D

Well, some tags are meant for behind-the-scenes work, such as <meta>, <title>,etc. When <meta> was invented, current browsers couldn't use <meta> properly because they weren't "programmed" to understand what it should do when it came across the tag. When companies like Microsoft updated their browsers to understand the <meta> tag, it could be used to get a description, keywords, redirect, etc, while the old browsers would skip the tag.

So while some tags are used for display (CSS is made to divide between content and appearance), others are used for the browser only.:)

#5 Void

Void

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:12 AM

I think it was the W3C, as I saw in another topic. But coding has always been a mystery to me, as in, how it works. Can the people who made HTML code change things, like, add a new tag, and then anybody can just use that tag and it will work? How does that work? Does the change propagate throughout the world or something? Whoever answers all this will make me a very satisfied person.

I never knew this, good information. What does W3C stand for?
Void

#6 sankarj

sankarj

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

I never knew this, good information. What does W3C stand for?

W3C stands for World Wide Web Consortium.

#7 DevilsCharm

DevilsCharm

Programming God

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:29 PM

Oh I get it. W3 for the three Ws, "World Wide Web", and the C for Consortium. It all makes sense now.

#8 xtraze

xtraze

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:10 AM

lol, Thats what I think it is.
I think google itself introduced a new <Meta tag fearure to control the Google bot. And also ,meta tags are used for a lot of things these days.

In Google webmaster tools, we can verify site ownership by a meta tag, I think the <meta> tag is quite flexible .

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download