Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Is a Mix of XHTML Strict and Transitional Pages OK?

XHTML HTML xhtml

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carrym

Carrym

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:51 AM

I have a Web site whose pages are XHTML 1.0 Strict, and the vast majority of them are valid pages, according to the W3C validation page. Some of the pages are not valid, however, as I use some items such as target="_blank" and ol start="26" and items like that.

Would any problems develop with indexing (or with anything else) if I decided to make the invalid pages transitional and keep the rest strict? Is it ok to have a mix of XHTML 1.0 Strict and XHTML 1.0 Transitional on a single site?

#2 sankarj

sankarj

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:50 AM

I would try to have all pages the same. Maybe you can make the strict pages transitional.

#3 Centreri

Centreri

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:57 AM

Ehh... I really don't even understand what the problem is with strict and transitional. The browsers display it all correctly and always will, but why would you use strict? It's just more restrictions.

#4 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:30 PM

Ehh... I really don't even understand what the problem is with strict and transitional. The browsers display it all correctly and always will, but why would you use strict? It's just more restrictions.

I believe you would use strict to ensure that it works on devices that don't have a full browser like phones and smartphones. This ensures that they display it correctly.

#5 xtraze

xtraze

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:49 AM

Would any problems develop with indexing (or with anything else)

As most crawlers only go through your HTML code,
I don't think this will make any trouble.

Cheer up.

Just make sure it looks the same in most commonly used browsers.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download