Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

FTP software you use - including ones that are not free

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TVDinner

TVDinner

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:50 AM

What FTP program does everyone use?
I have tried just about every free ftp program out there. But I never really found one that did everything I needed until a friend suggested WebDrive (You can find out more about it at File Transfer Software, FTP Server, FTP Client and WebDAV Document Collaboration Software. It is not a free program BUT IT IS EASILY THE BEST I have ever used. It literally creates a new "drive" on your computer for the site you are editing and then you can edit the files in real time. I have cut my site editing time in 1/2 and now get way more done. Really a good program.

PLEASE NOTE - I AM NOT an affiliate marketer of this program. It is the one I use and really like. If you have any questions about this program post it here and I will try to answer questions about it.

Does anyone else use a similar program?
The Biggest Boards: Where does your forum rank? ALL size forums welcome! Always FREE to submit and no back links ever required.

#2 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:38 AM

I've used something like this in the past, it has been a couple of years and the one I used did not work well. I currently use CuteFTP. Generally, when I'm on the same network I setup a samba share but for website editing I can see how this is useful. I will download it and give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

#3 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:53 AM

I generally use either command line or filezilla.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#4 icepack

icepack

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:42 AM

i know this thread is a self-promotion ad

but in windows i use smartftp or command line

and my web server comp. uses proftpd as a server.

#5 TVDinner

TVDinner

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:47 AM

icepack - this thead IS NOT a self promotion ad. I honestly asked. But the automatic text link ad thing this site does makes it look like that. I honestly wanted to know what others use, because I know most people can not purchase a program like webdrive and I am trying to give a friend (who does not want to buy webdrive) some advice on what others are using right now.
The Biggest Boards: Where does your forum rank? ALL size forums welcome! Always FREE to submit and no back links ever required.

#6 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:45 AM

TVDinner, that program sounds interesting ill have to look into it. Im usually too lazy to open up another program to do file transfers so most of the time I just use IE.....

But there is another pretty large topic on this two posts below this one that you might find interesting :P

http://forum.codecal...ftp-client.html

#7 TVDinner

TVDinner

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

Sidewinder - it is an awesome program and it completely cut my work time in half. No more downloading, changing and then uploading - you do it all live. I love webdrive. it has really been great to use, compared to all of the ftp programs i used in the past.

#8 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

OK, I just downloaded it and installed it, I must admit being able to edit in real time and not having to download, edit, upload is very nice. Although I'm not sure I like it for transferring large amounts of files (100+), seems to use windows explorer still. So perhaps ill stay with CuteFTP for uploading large amounts of files, and Webdrive for making changes to files. :)

#9 Guest_NeedHelp_*

Guest_NeedHelp_*

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:39 AM

OK, I just downloaded it and installed it, I must admit being able to edit in real time and not having to download, edit, upload is very nice. Although I'm not sure I like it for transferring large amounts of files (100+), seems to use windows explorer still. So perhaps ill stay with CuteFTP for uploading large amounts of files, and Webdrive for making changes to files. :)

So it is basically a network share like Samba services? How fast is it when you press the "save" button.

#10 WillB

WillB

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:22 PM

At work I use Filezilla. Its easy to use and it doesn't require any extensive setup.

Other than that.... I guess Cute FTP is okay...

#11 hoser2001

hoser2001

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:29 AM

I have always used CoreFTP Lite

#12 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

FileZilla.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download