Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

- - - - -

Prewritten Scripts

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#13 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:10 AM

Lol. Of course not, I find the base script so I don't go into the boring stuff... I just enjoy the real coding.. not the database creation and the basic things.

#14 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:22 PM

Yeah I like the actually coding also, I'm terrible with databases and have no idea how to start lol like choosing what fields to use.

#15 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

You're better than me - I call myself a PHP coder and I've never even touched MySQL... I'm ashamed of myself. :(
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#16 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:26 PM

WHAT? I really can't see much use of PHP without databases...

#17 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

I know how to create simple databases but nothing complex yet, maybe i should get a mysql book, so i can make some of my script use database but i do know how to and create databases and tables and insert and select data from databases but not so much how to use the data with PHP yet.

#18 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:35 AM

WHAT? I really can't see much use of PHP without databases...

Pulling pages together with SSI is pretty useful.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#19 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:44 AM

Nah, I'm quite good with that :)
Never had problems, unless the script is encrypted....

Wait until you have to modify badly written PHP code.. :)

You're better than me - I call myself a PHP coder and I've never even touched MySQL... I'm ashamed of myself. :(

There are tons of things you can do without a database in PHP. However, PHP and MySQL (or Oracle, MsSQL, or any database) go hand-in-hand when used for website development.

I know how to create simple databases but nothing complex yet, maybe i should get a mysql book, so i can make some of my script use database but i do know how to and create databases and tables and insert and select data from databases but not so much how to use the data with PHP yet.

SQL is fairly easy. You could probably learn it quickly in a couple of hours using web tutorials.

#20 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:46 AM

I know there's lots of stuff to do without a db, but I'm hoping to switch hosting provider (I've told you already), and then I'll get down to learning MySQL. Can't be bothered with a local server.

#21 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:50 AM

Why can't you setup a local server?

#22 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:51 AM

I could, but VWD lets me work directly with FTP locations, so I don't really need to. There's barely any speed differences, and I don't need to upload things.

#23 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:06 AM

yeah I find two good sites for SQL and apparently SQL hates me lol from that script earlier. I got some basic tables made i just have to come up with some scripts to do some stuff with it.

anyways, what prewritten scripts do PHP use? i liked AEF forum and phpbb3.

#24 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

I've heard lots of good stuff about phpBB. Is it better than something like vBulletin?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download