Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Getting around port blocking...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chrisms

Chrisms

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:59 PM

Okay, so my school is really noob, and blocks every port except for 80 and 21... Why? I don't know. they just do. And i need to use port 2080 for cpanel, so i can actualy do work from school and such.

anyone know any work arounds so that i can work from school (on my own laptop) and not break any laws in the process.

thanks much,

Chris

#2 xtraze

xtraze

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:58 AM

Let me ask this.
Are you trying to install cPanel or use it.
And I am sure you are in USA as it has become a law I think there.
Try a proxy.

#3 Chrisms

Chrisms

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:22 AM

i'm trying to use it.

proxy's don't work because it still trys to use port 2080 when i connect. and most proxy sites, if not all, are blocked on the school's block list.

what i'm trying to do, is code my robotics team's website (we're a school organization... so i'm not doing anything illegal or bad...)

#4 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:46 AM

You need to tunnel around it. You can tunnel using SSH but you will have to find a SSH server that uses one of your available ports (21 or 80). If you have a computer at home you can setup an SSH client and use port forwarding to get around your school firewall/proxy.

There are lists of free proxy servers out there and there is no way that your school can know them all, all of the time. Most have odd ports like 8080 but you need to find the ones with port 80 (called HTTP Proxies).

#5 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:09 AM

Well you may run a server software on your PC and make it on port 21/80 then from school connect to your PC and then you will have all ports open :)

Perhaps they blocked all other ports because of p2p software?

#6 Chrisms

Chrisms

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

thanks guys, i was going to set a server up as the last resort, but i honestly have no idea how to set one up...

i was thinking perhaps setting up a remote desktop... but i really don't know. i have tightVNC installed, and use it along with my linux box...

would you suggest setting up a SSH server, or using remote desktop?

#7 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:04 PM

What are you using at home? Linux or Windows?

#8 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:28 AM

Having taught at a school, part of why all those ports are blocked is to prevent students from performing illegal or non-school related activities while at school. I was involved in getting a feel for how secure our computers were, and it was pretty scary. This is especially important if students can hack into the grades system and start messing with that.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#9 Chrisms

Chrisms

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:01 PM

I have a linux box, as well as a windows machine at home.

And WP- nice to see you're alive.

i think i've told you about how kids in my school hacked and got the admin password, and all they did was play games on school comps. Nothing that bad if you ask me...

and i'm not trying to do anything wrong :( it's frustrating... like, in our Java class we can't compile code... so we arn't doing ANY work, even if we wanted to. I just need a work around so i can get work done, after school, using the schools network sure. but for a school club...

#10 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:44 AM

Sometimes if you talk to administration they can do something about it.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#11 Chrisms

Chrisms

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

Sometimes if you talk to administration they can do something about it.

our administration yelled at the robotics team for setting up a wireless router because it was "giving out IP's" and apprnetly Ip's are few and far between these days?

oh, and they are more worried about people going to youtube to watch videos in school than the fact that their AP computer programing class can't compile on school computers because they felt it was "dangerous" so insetad of setting up a controlled lab, that had it's own little network.. they shaft us.

I don't think talking to them will help much... It crossed my mind, then i realized my school sucks

#12 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:24 PM

I have a linux box, as well as a windows machine at home.

And WP- nice to see you're alive.

i think i've told you about how kids in my school hacked and got the admin password, and all they did was play games on school comps. Nothing that bad if you ask me...

and i'm not trying to do anything wrong :( it's frustrating... like, in our Java class we can't compile code... so we arn't doing ANY work, even if we wanted to. I just need a work around so i can get work done, after school, using the schools network sure. but for a school club...

Well we hack the Admins passwords all the time in our schools lol, it's just Windows XP :) nothing secure that we can't hack!! So they just gave up and didn't make anymore passwords ;), although on our accounts they made some restrictions, so we just login as Admins and we have full control lol, stupid teachers :)

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download