Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Variables

case sensitive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 clookid

clookid

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:08 PM

Variables

In PHP as in most computer programming languages, data can be stored in named areas of memory called variables. Variables can contain numbers, text, even binary data, as well as arrays (lists). They're also used to store references to files and database query results.

Arrays are special, so I'll go into those separately, but for the most part using variables is simple. All variable names begin with a $ and are followed by one or more letters. You can use numbers, too, and underscores ( _ ), but not spaces. Variable names are case sensitive - beware! $FOO is not the same as $foo.

$foo = 3;
$myline = "Hello world";

Unlike some other languages, you don't have to declare your variables before you use them, though for security reasons, it's recommended that you declare some of them (for example, session variables). I'll cover this in greater detail later.

This tutorial was written by another one of my friends, if you would like to use this tutorial please send me a PM

#2 xtraze

xtraze

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:40 PM

Many things in PHP and xHTML is case sensitive,
your tutorial rocks dude. nice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case sensitive

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download