Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

- - - - -

Can you ever delete all old files on your computer?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#25 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:45 AM

Well maybe... Depends.

#26 AfTriX

AfTriX

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:48 PM

But theoretically it should not clear whole data right? as it clears only the sector address. Even if try doing the things again and again will be looking for the address not the data I guess. (Only according to my knowledge)

#27 Guest_littlefranciscan_*

Guest_littlefranciscan_*

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:23 AM

hmm..It seems that the question has remained unanswered.? I am told with a dell that if you hold down the ctrl and click F11 at same time you are brought to reboot stage..Once you do this you are given choice to repair or restore back to the factory settings..If you choose the second then all the data is lost and the computer returns back to the way it was when you first got it out of the box..Has anyone else heard this?

#28 DevilsCharm

DevilsCharm

Programming God

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:39 AM

No, I'm not sure that's true (although I don't want to find out). I've needed to restore my computer before, but it took a disc, and you needed it. There was no way to do it without the disc, although that was a Compaq, not a Dell. Maybe you can do it with Dell, but once again, I'm not trying.

#29 techni68

techni68

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:25 AM

I heard with the Dell all you have to do is what littlefranciscan said:" hold down the ctrl and f11 at same time to bring reboot screen.

I know with other computers..they should have a rescue disk.

Does restoring the computer from the rescuedisk take away all files completely?

#30 AfTriX

AfTriX

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

Mine is a Vaio, I can bring back my PC to the factory settings Using my rpoduct recovery disk.

#31 Guest_littlefranciscan_*

Guest_littlefranciscan_*

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:13 AM

I never heard of Vaio..is this a manufacturer of laptops too? How are Vaio products?

#32 AfTriX

AfTriX

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

Vaio is a Product of Sony. Just go through the Sony site. You can find out whole information about it.

#33 domestic

domestic

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

yeh well dell decided that they didnt want to keep shipping out CDs so yes, there is a hidden partition on the hard drives which reformatts the HD and then, it reinstalls all the application that were there when you first turned on your PC. Although the biggest proble is, DELL are payed by so many companies to put their software on the PCs (AOL, Sonic/Roxio, Tiscali etc etc) that you probably couldnt be arsed with it. Technically you should be able to get the XP (or Vista or whatever) disk off any computer manufacturer that didn't supply you with it as you DID pay for it.

As for VAIOs, they are Sony's Laptops. Generally expensive but sleek in design however NOTE WELL!!!!!!!! THEY HAVE PROBLEMS WITH D-LINK WIRELESS ROUTERS!!! Vaios wll continually drop the connection between them which is extremely irritating and we had to replace out routers.

#34 drokkin

drokkin

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:39 AM

But its 80% impossible sometimes we can never retrieve but if you really have some really private data to be secured, Just do as I have said below and no one can ever get the Data back. 100% secure.

Add some Gasoline
Put the HDD on Fire.

Finish, the End of data.

Well, you could that I guess! And change the hard drive that is... Although, it would be a waste of a hard drive..!

#35 domestic

domestic

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:46 AM

I was at work and got given a piece of software called kill disk. Pretty much destroys the data. Takes ages and that was on the quicker speed. I hate to think what its like on the very slow speed!!! It took over 4 hrs as it was.

#36 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:40 AM

I was at work and got given a piece of software called kill disk. Pretty much destroys the data. Takes ages and that was on the quicker speed. I hate to think what its like on the very slow speed!!! It took over 4 hrs as it was.

Looks like they offer a free version to anyone that is interested: Active@ Kill Disk. Hard Drives Eraser. Free Download.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download