Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

- - - - -

Can you ever delete all old files on your computer?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#13 Guest_littlefranciscan_*

Guest_littlefranciscan_*

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:26 AM

I appreciate all the posts..not only those telling me how to delete my files; but also telling me how to retrieve them;) Thanks!

#14 xtraze

xtraze

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:19 AM

It's wise to know how to retrieve before deleting.
And search at download.com for data retrievers, there are a lot of them available there.

#15 AfTriX

AfTriX

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:16 PM

My suggestions are:
If you have system mechanic installed in your PC then you easily can delete files permanently from the Hard Drive as you wish. Since it has an option known as File Termination ((Just simple as Right Click at the file you wish to delete and select Terminate)) System Mechanic® 7 Special Offer
This process giving you the option to delete files than completely formatting the Drive.

And there are Softwares to retrieve files, when you do normal format, such as

Partition Recovery Software recovers windows data and provides NTFS & FAT file recovery

#16 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:35 PM

There are programs (Not available to the public) that can retrieve data after 5 formats! The only way that this program does not retrieve the data is by formating the HD with a Magnet! or I think you can delete files normally but before use something like a WipeFile and it will recover just trash.

#17 AfTriX

AfTriX

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

Have anyone tried the retrieval after terminating files through System Mechanic?

#18 techni68

techni68

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:26 PM

How does the magnet come into play for deleting files?

I don't understand that one..haven't heard of that.

#19 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:47 AM

Yes Magnets PERMANENTLY delete the data on a HD, well you can make a little experiment, take a floppy you DON'T NEED place a strong magnet near stroke the floppy with the magnet several times and 50% chance it will get all files on your floppy deleted or may corrupt the floppy.

#20 AfTriX

AfTriX

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:28 AM

Yes Magnets PERMANENTLY delete the data on a HD, well you can make a little experiment, take a floppy you DON'T NEED place a strong magnet near stroke the floppy with the magnet several times and 50% chance it will get all files on your floppy deleted or may corrupt the floppy.

What will happen to the HD then? It will get corrupted huh? We only want to delete the data, not to damage the HD isn't it?

#21 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:58 AM

Nope the HD doesn't get corrupted, just the floppy gets

#22 AfTriX

AfTriX

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:17 AM

Nope the HD doesn't get corrupted, just the floppy gets

Are you sure about that?
I think it wont get corrupted as the HD is an electro magnetic storage device but the floppy magnetic storage media.

#23 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:01 AM

See here:-
How should I erase my hard drive before I give it away? - Ask Leo!

but it says that it's hard to format it with a magnet because you really need huge and heavy magnets!!

Here is a quote

It's a common recommendation to use a big heavy magnet to really erase a hard disk. My advice: forget it. Any magnets you're likely to have around the house, even your big speaker magnets, are unlikely to affect your hard disk in any significant way.

#24 AfTriX

AfTriX

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:25 PM

Oh, that seems doing unconditional formats many time will clear the hard drive completely?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download