Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

- - - - -

Can you ever delete all old files on your computer?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_littlefranciscan_*

Guest_littlefranciscan_*

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:25 PM

I was wondering..can someone ever succeeding in deleting all their files from a computer before trashing it or sending it to ebay.

I was told that if one decides to sell one's computer..it is recommended one cleans the hard drive.

How do you this and can it be done?

#2 Guest_mysticalone_*

Guest_mysticalone_*

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:10 PM

I overheard someone saying the other day that you can't; but that doesn't seem right. They had said it's better to throw it in the trash after you have taken out each part and destroyed it..LOL Poor computer wouldn't know what hit it;)

#3 xtraze

xtraze

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:09 AM

I was wondering..can someone ever succeeding in deleting all their files from a computer before trashing it or sending it to ebay.

I was told that if one decides to sell one's computer..it is recommended one cleans the hard drive.

C'mon guys I just make a FuLL Format and all DATA goes like woof.
And delete the partition structure as well and make it one BIG drive if I wish to sell. I never leave a single file lol. Wherever I go, I just get my Flashdrive (USB).

#4 techni68

techni68

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:26 PM

Hey Xtraze not everyone has all the computer skills that you do;)

#5 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:14 PM

Yes, this is possible. These are called low level formatters. When a file is deleted it actually just removes the link to the location making the computer believe the space is free. When new data is placed on your computer it over-writes the old data which will make it be gone forever. If this does not happen, a skilled technician can still get the data off of your computer. Low Level formatters do just that, they delete the links to all files and then fill the entire hard drive up with data (consisting of 1s). They then do this once again with 0s and then again with 1s. That is three times your data has been overwritten and can not be retrieved.

C'mon guys I just make a FuLL Format and all DATA goes like woof.
And delete the partition structure as well and make it one BIG drive if I wish to sell. I never leave a single file lol.

Your data is still retrievable. Simply removing the partition does not remove the data (nor does formatting) as mentioned above.

#6 xtraze

xtraze

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:40 PM

Your data is still retrievable. Simply removing the partition does not remove the data (nor does formatting) as mentioned above.

But its 80% impossible sometimes we can never retrieve but if you really have some really private data to be secured, Just do as I have said below and no one can ever get the Data back. 100% secure.

Add some Gasoline
Put the HDD on Fire.

Finish, the End of data.

Attached Thumbnails

• istockphoto_264862_flaming_hard_drive_2.jpg

#7 xXHalfSliceXx

xXHalfSliceXx

CC Leader

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1561 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:58 PM

You can completely erase everything on a Hard Drive.
All you have to do is connect the hard drive that you are wanting to erase, to a different pc, set it as the Slave Hard Drive. Go in, and just like a floppy disk, do a hard format on it. Wala, 100% clear.

Then go in and do what Jordan stated.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Guest_littlefranciscan_*

Guest_littlefranciscan_*

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:19 AM

Thanks for the very thorough explanation; but you know I wouldn't know what the hard drive looks like to connect it to a different pc. I have no idea what most of the parts are inside my pc.. :(

#9 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:51 AM

Or you can simply place a very large and powerful magnet against it.

#10 -MW-

-MW-

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:47 AM

Here is programs to delete this datas and make it not retrievable. But i don't remember names.

#11 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:31 PM

Here is programs to delete this datas and make it not retrievable. But i don't remember names.

I just recently went to format my computer and ended up formating the wrong hard drive. I used GetDataBack to recover all my information.

#12 xtraze

xtraze

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

Thank you guys as I have heard of a VIRUS that cannot be deleted, don't know the name but I have heard about it. But it won't work when formatted, will it ?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download