Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Java:Tutorial - Getting Started

runtime

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:27 PM

In order to have the total development environment, you will need to follow all of these instructions for installation exactly. Failure to follow even one step can result in your installation not working correctly and you not being able to properly work on your projects.

Installing JDK
1. Go to the Sun's JDK download page: </title> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="/ocom/groups/systemobject/@mktg_admin/documents/webcontent/oraclelib.js"> </script> <style type="text/css"> HTML,BODY,TD,H1,H2,H3,H4,OL,UL,DL,LI,DT,DD {font-family:arial,helvetica,san. You should select to download the JDK 5.0 Update 4 (or later) without any additional programs (like NetBeans). Careful that you download the JDK and not the JRE. You also do not need any J2EE technology.

2. You will need to agree to the licensing agreement.

3. Under Windows platform, you want to select the "Windows Offline Installation" and click the link to begin downloading.

4. When the file download dialog box comes up, choose to Save the file. A save dialog box will appear and you should select to save the file in C:\. Click on the Save button to begin the download process. A status window will appear to tell you approximately how long this will take. On a cable modem it took about 5 minutes, but that may vary depending on service/time of day.

5. When finished downloading, there should be an option activated to Run the file. You should select this option and the automatic installation program will take over.

6. You will need to agree to the licensing agreement again and then hit "Next".

7. Another screen will appear asking you about customizing the install. You will use the default install, so simply hit "Next" again.

8. Installation will now be beginning on your machine and you will see a status bar appear to let you see progress.

9. Next you will be installing the Java Runtime Environment. Again you want the default installation, so simply hit "Next".

10. You will be prompted as to which browser you want to register the Java plug-in, choose whatever browser you use most often and hit "Next".

11. The JRE will install and another status bar will appear.

12. You should then click Finish.

Updating your PATH variable [highley reccomended]

You can run the JDK without setting the PATH variable, or you can optionally set it as a convenience.

Should I set the PATH variable?
Set the PATH variable if you want to be able to conveniently run the JDK executables (javac.exe, java.exe, javadoc.exe, etc.) from any directory without having to type the full path of the command. If you don't set the PATH variable, you need to specify the full path to the executable every time you run it, such as:

C:> "\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_<version>\bin\javac" MyClass.java

It's useful to set the PATH permanently so it will persist after rebooting.

How do I set the PATH permanently?
To set the PATH permanently, add the full path of the jdk1.5.0_<version>\bin directory to the PATH variable. Typically this full path looks something like C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_<version>\bin. Set the PATH as follows, according to whether you are on Microsoft Windows NT or 98/2000/ME.

Microsoft Windows NT, 2000, and XP - To set the PATH permanently:

1. Choose Start, Settings, Control Panel, and double-click System. On Microsoft Windows NT, select the Environment tab; on Microsoft Windows 2000 select the Advanced tab and then Environment Variables. Look for "Path" in the User Variables and System Variables. If you're not sure where to add the path, add it to the right end of the "Path" in the User Variables. A typical value for PATH is:

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_<version>\bin

Capitalization doesn't matter. Click "Set", "OK" or "Apply".

The PATH can be a series of directories separated by semi-colons (;). Microsoft Windows looks for programs in the PATH directories in order, from left to right. You should only have one bin directory for a JDK in the path at a time (those following the first are ignored), so if one is already present, you can update it to jdk1.5.0_<version>\bin.

2. The new path takes effect in each new Command Prompt window you open after setting the PATH variable.

Microsoft Windows 98 - To set the PATH permanently, open the AUTOEXEC.BAT file and add or change the PATH statement as follows:

1. Start the system editor. Choose "Start", "Run" and enter sysedit, then click OK. The system editor starts up with several windows showing. Go to the window that is displaying AUTOEXEC.BAT

2. Look for the PATH statement. (If you don't have one, add one.) If you're not sure where to add the path, add it to the right end of the PATH. For example, in the following PATH statement, we have added the bin directory at the right end:

PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;"C:\PROGRAM FILES\JAVA\JDK1.5.0_<version>\BIN"

Capitalization doesn't matter. The PATH can be a series of directories separated by semi-colons (;). Microsoft Windows searches for programs in the PATH directories in order, from left to right. You should only have one bin directory for a JDK in the path at a time (those following the first are ignored), so if one is already present, you can update it to jdk1.5.0_<version>.

3. To make the path take effect in the current Command Prompt window, execute the following:

C:> c:\autoexec.bat

To find out the current value of your PATH, to see if it took effect, at the command prompt, type:

C:> path

Microsoft Windows ME - To set the PATH permanently:

From the start menu, choose programs, accessories, system tools, and system information. This brings up a window titled "Microsoft Help and Support". From here, choose the tools menu, then select the system configuration utility. Click the environment tab, select PATH and press the edit button. Now add the JDK to your path as described in step b above. After you've added the location of the JDK to your PATH, save the changes and reboot your machine when prompted.

Installing Eclipse on Windows
1. Download Eclipse

2. Follow the install, you should be able to do that :)

Edited by John, 01 August 2010 - 09:25 AM.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

I've enjoyed using JBuilder myself. Has anyone compared the two?

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 castanza88

castanza88

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:36 AM

so, where does ant come in correlation to all this?

#4 Cuppa

Cuppa

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:34 AM

I'm really not sure what I'm downloading.
I have NO PRIOR knowledge of ANYTHING coding outside wpe.
So, I'm just downloading expecting something important.

#5 gracie20

gracie20

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:07 AM

hello...can anyone tell me from where i can get the complete infomation about JAVA

#6 helplinelaw

helplinelaw

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:31 AM

Go on head java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ read a or download.

#7 Blmaster

Blmaster

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:14 AM

does anyone use JGrasp or even heard of it! if they have, then which one is better, JGrasp or Eclipse?

#8 ALPHA

ALPHA

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:14 AM

excellent tut John!
^^

JGrasp or Eclipse?

i'm using JCreator

#9 Egz0N

Egz0N

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1155 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:56 PM

Excellent Tutorial John..

BTW .. Im using Eclipse :)

#10 isuru

isuru

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:39 PM

My favorite is NetBeans!

#11 GMVResources

GMVResources

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

I like isuru use Netbeans because in the first Java book I had it was in Netbeans so i used that. In Eclipse what is so great about that? =D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: runtime

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download