Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Setting up PHP on Windows

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#13 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:42 PM

What is WAMP?

WAMP5 installs automatically Apache 1.3.31 ,PHP5, MySQL database ,PHPmyadmin and SQLitemanager on your computer. It's principal aim is to allow you to easily discover the new version oh PHP : PHP5. WAMP5 comes with a service manager installed as a tray icon. It allows you to manage WAMP5 and access all services.

When you install WAMP5, all the files are copied in the directory you choose. Conf files are then modified to point to that directory. It also installs a "www" directory which will be your Document Root.

At the end of the installation, WAMP5 will automatically install Apache and MySQL as services :

- service' wampapache' : apache service
- service 'wampmysql' : mysql service

WAMP5's installation is compact. This means that all files are copied to WAMP5's directory. Only the MySQL conf file (usually my.ini) is copied to the Windows directory but as "mywamp.ini" to avoid conflicts with other installs.

Kromagnon used it on here once. It worked very well!

#14 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:16 PM

Images are suppose to be taken as a base image. For instance, once you install your OS and install all the software you need/want then you take an image. Not after you have 50 gigs of MP3s and Videos :)

I always backup those :) but if make an image of my HD.. the OS will be on the image right? thats waste of space!!

#15 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:26 PM

the OS will be on hat image right?

Not sure I understand...

#16 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:41 AM

Sorry I meat that if I install My OS and programs and make backup ( HD image ) the OS will be backuped too right? so that would be 2.5Gb wasted on the image! because when you format you will have to re-install the OS from the CD and then replace the files from the Image right? so the OS backuped on the image will be a waste of space right?

#17 Fischerspooner

Fischerspooner

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:21 AM

Images are suppose to be taken as a base image. For instance, once you install your OS and install all the software you need/want then you take an image. Not after you have 50 gigs of MP3s and Videos :)

Ofcourse, never said it differently:)

#18 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:13 AM

Ofcourse, never said it differently:)

I think some of the other guys thought it was a backup tool though, not knowing the difference between an image and backup :)

I'm fixing to use this to image my desktop at work! I'll let you guys know how it works.

#19 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:54 AM

I think some of the other guys thought it was a backup tool though, not knowing the difference between an image and backup :)

I'm fixing to use this to image my desktop at work! I'll let you guys know how it works.

Yeah I understand whats the difference! Perhaps my Question was not clear.. never mind that.... Now I got used to it

#20 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:05 AM

The backup portion worked great on my desktop. I didn't need to restore so I can't verify how it worked. Thank you for the tool! I'm about to use it on my laptop right now.

#21 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:15 AM

The backup portion worked great on my desktop. I didn't need to restore so I can't verify how it worked. Thank you for the tool! I'm about to use it on my laptop right now.

Tell us the result when ready :)

#22 dirkfirst

dirkfirst

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:06 PM

I installed WAMP and everything ran fine! Thanks guys.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download