Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Video stream transfer (College project)

stream

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MrNobody

MrNobody

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:59 AM

Hi..
For my college project, I am doing remote control car that can be controlled through the internet.
A laptop is attached to the top of the car and it moves with the car. Because of that, i need a webcam connected to the laptop so that i can see where the car is going..

For the project, my part is to write a program to transfer the webcam stream real time from the laptop to another computer..
I need advice on what language to use to write the program. It is kind of like a client/server environment and the server send the webcam stream to the client.

There should be a box where u can enter the IP of the server (laptop).
There should also be a "ON" button where u can turn the webcam on or off.
If possible, it would be good if i can add control to the program to turn the webcam right or left (using motor and parallel port programming).

Since my friend is writing the code for the controls of the robot, it would be great if my program can be embeded onto his code..

Can somebody please advice me on that language i should use to write the server/client program to transfer webcam stream..?
Thanks in advance..

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:57 AM

What language is your friend using, and what languages are you comfortable with? There are many languages that could be used to do what you want to, the issue is what can you know well enough to get the job done in time.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 MrNobody

MrNobody

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:13 AM

What language is your friend using, and what languages are you comfortable with? There are many languages that could be used to do what you want to, the issue is what can you know well enough to get the job done in time.

Actually, he is not sure yet.. Which language is more suitable and 'easier' to do client/server paralellel port programming and video transfer with..?
I have basic knowledge of C and he has some basic knowledge of C++..

Actually, I don't think we know enough to just write the program straightaway..
Its more like us seeking advise on what language to use, and then we will read up on how to use that language to program.. So, if you know of any tutorials that can point me/us to the right direction then it would really helps alot..

Just need client/server parallel port programming and real time webcam stream transfer..

Thanks..

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:58 AM

C++ with the Boost++ library, or Java are two scenarios that might work well. At this point, I'd want to know what types of interfaces the hardware involved comes with, and which languages they were designed for. If you have a few .dll files for interfaces designed for C, I'd use C. If they're aimed at another language, I'd try it.

#5 MrNobody

MrNobody

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:15 AM

C++ with the Boost++ library, or Java are two scenarios that might work well. At this point, I'd want to know what types of interfaces the hardware involved comes with, and which languages they were designed for. If you have a few .dll files for interfaces designed for C, I'd use C. If they're aimed at another language, I'd try it.

What do u mean by hardware interface..?
The webcam is a Logitech USB webcam. And the control for the webcam to turn
(motor circuit) is using parallel port programming). I am programming from scratch so I don't have any code or dll to use..
I would prefer to use C++ but i need a good step by step tutorial to follow as I am new to C++..
Thanks..

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:37 AM

Some hardware/software provides interfaces for functions/classes/etc you can use to interact with their product. If those are transparently available, it can make it easier to code in the language those programming interfaces were designed for. Hardware drivers are an example of an interface.

#7 MrNobody

MrNobody

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:15 PM

Some hardware/software provides interfaces for functions/classes/etc you can use to interact with their product. If those are transparently available, it can make it easier to code in the language those programming interfaces were designed for. Hardware drivers are an example of an interface.

As for the webcam, i have logitech driver that comes with the webcam..
As for the control circuit, we are making it so there isn't really any driver..
Hope that little info help..

#8 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

C++ should work fine for you, though C is probably used more for microcontrollers. You can also use one language for the streaming and another for the control program.

#9 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:30 AM

Hmm seems a HUGE project huh? im sorry im not able to help :(

#10 MrNobody

MrNobody

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:56 AM

C++ should work fine for you, though C is probably used more for microcontrollers. You can also use one language for the streaming and another for the control program.

Umm.. do u know where I can find C++ tutorials for newbie where I can learn..?
Preferable step by step tutorial coz I don't know C++..
Thanks..

#11 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

Here is a list of good tutorials:

http://www.cprogramm...m/tutorial.html

Are you planning on using ANSI C++ or something like Microsoft Visual C++?

#12 MrNobody

MrNobody

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:34 PM

Here is a list of good tutorials:

http://www.cprogramm...m/tutorial.html

Are you planning on using ANSI C++ or something like Microsoft Visual C++?

Thanks..
Microsoft Visual C++..
Went there and check the website out.. but it doesn't teach me how to send webcam signal from server to client..
Do u know any website that have tutorials on that..?
Thanks..

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download