Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

PHP sucks

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 dirkfirst

dirkfirst

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:10 PM

The more I use PHP the more it irritates me. Mostly because I don't know what I'm doing. Here are some points though about why PHP sucks!

1) Inconsitent naming of functions - They use all three versions of naming!
myfunction
my_function
myFunction

2) Functions like magic quotes are can be turned off in the php.ini. If you want to make something portable, you better make sure every server you run it on has the same settings.

3) Its slow - Check Here for a comparison against java.

4) Different versions of php are incompatable such as 4.3 to 4.4 or 4.x to 5.0 (remind you of java?)

5) It isn't thread safe

Thats all I have for now. I am, of course going to keep using PHP but it does suck.

#2 Guest_Jonas_*

Guest_Jonas_*

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:31 PM

PHP is designed for some specific purpose first and foremost. The ability to disable certain functions and features at the server level is a way to maange resources and get it working on a larger platform of hardware. I think if you are going to code for an open-source or general population you need to keep in mind common server settings and do go using functions that most servers will not have enabled.

What kind of compatibility issues are you seeing with different versions? I have not had any problems in regards to that.

#3 smith

smith

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:16 PM

It does have its flaws but in general it is a good scripting language. What platform doesn't have flaws?

I do not agree with you at all about "PHP Sucks". I've made many large scale applications with it and I love it. Aren't you always asking questions about PHP on this forum?

for (int i;;) {

cout << "Smith";

}

#4 JacquiiC

JacquiiC

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:49 AM

It does have its flaws but in general it is a good scripting language.

I must say I tend to agree with SMITH... PHP is really an excellent scripting language. It's made to adjust/work with different conditionals that allow for more "control" ------> It's like this: HTML is to PHP as an automatic is to a stick shift... LOL - Does that even make sense???

But anyway - I'm not so much versed in the intricasies of php like a lot of folks on here - But I can certainly see it's uses ;)

Jacquii.

#5 Lop

Lop

Speaks fluent binary

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:07 AM

You barely even know PHP dirkfirst and yet you are already putting it down? PHP doesn't suck for those of us that know how to use it.

#6 husky44

husky44

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

These frustrations are usually due to the language being so flexible and relaxed compared to other languages. Yes there can be several way to do things, but they achieve the same thing so you only need to know one :)

#7 JacquiiC

JacquiiC

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:06 AM

These frustrations are usually due to the language being so flexible and relaxed compared to other languages. Yes there can be several way to do things, but they achieve the same thing so you only need to know one :)

Absolutely correct! I agree - only need to know one!
It's the beauty of something so very complex...
See the diff'rence: complex versus "completely SUX"
It's a distinct difference. :D

JAcquii.

#8 dirkfirst

dirkfirst

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:07 PM

You barely even know PHP dirkfirst and yet you are already putting it down? PHP doesn't suck for those of us that know how to use it.

I know PHP well enough to see the flaws

What kind of compatibility issues are you seeing with different versions? I have not had any problems in regards to that.

I posted the version in the original quote. These versions have different functions and members that are not compatible.

#9 jtaleric

jtaleric

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:26 PM

Love how that it compaired it with java, and not something like perl. What kind of comparison is that?

#10 Blaze

Blaze

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:40 PM

Yeah, Java and PHP really have nothing in common do they?
I have never used Java but I thought that was more like C and C++ than PHP.

#11 Lop

Lop

Speaks fluent binary

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:13 AM

Agreed. Java is application/client side while PHP is server side. How can you compare the two?

#12 Guest_callis_*

Guest_callis_*

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:59 AM

php is one of the best web based programming language out there, if you are complaining about php what you say about the others.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download