Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      15 Sep
    Error

Programming is something that I enjoy and want to make a career out of. But, I usually tend to start things and not finish them. Any advice on how I can finish what I start?

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      12 Sep
    FacetiousTurtle33

Just joined. Really enjoy this sight. Excited to become a great programmer, and helper.

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Developed by Kemal Taskin
- - - - -

Is PHP the best web programming language to learn?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kaabi_*

Guest_Kaabi_*

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:08 PM

PHP has so many different capabilities, and is relatively easier to learn than many of the other languages. I'm wondering if I should learn it, because it seems the market is oversaturated with PHP programmers, and I'm just wondering, if I learned it, would there be a chance I could make good money programming for people? If not, I could still do it for myself.

#2 MrDiaz

MrDiaz

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

Well my friend, if you want my opinion here it goes.

AS you mentioned, PHP is becoming more popular each day. Is true that there are already many php developers out there, but the thing is that demand is also increasing. Money is always there, waiting for you to go and take it, you just have to go and get it. Is that simple.

I would recommend you to learn PHP iff (if and only if) you want to work more on the web area. If that happens to be the case, then go for it! PHP is with no doubt #1 web language out there, so why not getting into it and learn how to use it?

#3 Guest_Kaabi_*

Guest_Kaabi_*

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:25 PM

True, I do want to work more with the web, and I do have a lot of contacts, but I still think it would be hard to establish myself. I'll have to think it over.

#4 MrDiaz

MrDiaz

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:29 PM

not really friend, there are lots of work out there for you to start with.

Anyway, why don't you just learn for the sake of it? PHP is an awesome language and if you really want to get into web programming you should definately learn it. After all, the more you know, the better ;)

#5 Guest_Kaabi_*

Guest_Kaabi_*

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, but I just don't think I have the time, plus I'm not really good at committing to learn things. I've tried to learn a lot of languages, but I quit at it sometime for some reason.

#6 MrDiaz

MrDiaz

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:39 PM

I did the same thing not too long ago, i was a very passive learner. However, the feel of impotence got me started and that's why I'm working to learn PHP more.

There are a lot of new things I have in mind for my website and I just can't use them because of the lack of PHP knowledge, hopefully, in about a month or so, that will change.

#7 Lop

Lop

Speaks fluent binary

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:54 AM

Yes, I think you should learn PHP. Why not? You can use it in the job field, you can freenlance or you can create your own website without having to hire someone. It is a great and very easy language and is built from C/C++ (you mentioned in another thread you might learn C or C++). Go for it!

#8 DevilsCharm

DevilsCharm

Programming God

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:46 AM

Built from C++? Wow! Somebody told me C++ was only good for creating OSes (was it you? I don't think so), but this is an example where it's not. Right now I have a programmer who does HTML and PHP stuff, but I really would like to do it myself. I've paid him like $40 total, and $50 more is on the way when I get my AdSense check.

#9 Crane

Crane

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:04 PM

C++ is good for anything. I think it was brackett who said that and he was only giving it as an example to show how powerful C++ is.

PHP is the best server side web language IMHO.

#10 Guest_Kaabi_*

Guest_Kaabi_*

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

What the heck does IMHO mean? *Checks Google* Oh, In My Humble Opinion, alright.

Yeah, C++ really is great :-)

#11 palkema

palkema

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

Hi Kaabi,
If your looking to learn a language and get jobs within a year php is your best bet. If your looking for an incredibly robust language that's extremely easy to learn and write, I would learn a language called ColdFusion.

I'm a full time programmer at a large multi-million dollar corporation and we've found that learning and writing applications in Coldfusion can take us up to 1/3 the time.

Check out my blog post about this. PHP vs. ColdFusion — Paul Alkema

#12 palkema

palkema

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

Oh oops, I just looked at the date on this post and saw it was from 06. My bad, I found this post on google and didn't notice the timestamp. :)