Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody use Ajax?

AJAX ajax

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

AJAX, shorthand for Asynchronous JavaScript and XML, is a Web development technique for creating interactive web applications. The intent is to make web pages feel more responsive by exchanging small amounts of data with the server behind the scenes, so that the entire web page does not have to be reloaded each time the user makes a change. This is meant to increase the web page's interactivity, speed, and usability.

The Ajax technique uses a combination of:
XHTML (or HTML), CSS, for marking up and styling information.
The DOM accessed with a client-side scripting language, especially ECMAScript implementations such as JavaScript and JScript, to dynamically display and interact with the information presented.
The XMLHttpRequest object to exchange data asynchronously with the web server. In some Ajax frameworks and in certain situations, an IFrame object is used instead of the XMLHttpRequest object to exchange data with the web server.
XML is sometimes used as the format for transferring data between the server and client, although any format will work, including preformatted HTML, plain text, JSON and even EBML.

Like DHTML, LAMP, or SPA, Ajax is not a technology in itself, but a term that refers to the use of a group of technologies together.

Read more...

Possibly the newest programming language at the moment, I predict it to be the next big thing in the web development world.

It will change the web by adding more features for users, although I haven't used it yet.

#2 sarahk

sarahk

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

I'm using it more and more as users need a more streamlined experience. There are gotchas but if you're in the backend where the search engines don't need to go then you can have some really good fun with it.

#3 Lop

Lop

Speaks fluent binary

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:30 AM

Basically, its just HTML, CSS and Javascript? Isn't that already being used a lot, for instance, this forum?

#4 sarahk

sarahk

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:23 PM

vB uses a little bit, but AJAX is used to update the page from the database.

In most cases javascript didn't do that.

I have a long running example on my site of how to do it the old way but modern AJAX is more complicated and more robust.

#5 Lop

Lop

Speaks fluent binary

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:57 PM

So AJAX is actually a language then? I'd like to learn it! Which of your websites are AJAX sarah?

#6 sarahk

sarahk

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:10 PM

No, it is just Javascript, but it is sophisticated javascript that supports the integration of the client and the server without a page refresh.

I'm currently building ajax into an intranet site, I have smidgens on other sites and can see it being used more and more. Before you start though it pays to understand the usability and SEO consequences on your design.

There are a great many AJAX libraries but the two I've looked most closely at are

script.aculo.us
xajax

I'm using script.aculo.us because my needs are relatively simple and it's easy to integrate with CakePHP. However I suspect the actual structure for building an AJAX site are better with xajax.

#7 Lop

Lop

Speaks fluent binary

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:14 PM

I think I am going to learn it! Does this forum use AJAX? You said "it is sophisticated javascript that supports the integration of the client and the server without a page refresh" and the quick post at the bottom posts without a screen refresh.

is CakePHP free?

#8 sarahk

sarahk

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:25 PM

CakePHP is free.

Yes quick post and edit use AJAX

In the latest version they've returned the reputation system to AJAX (it was in v3.0, and was a regular page in v3.5)

#9 Dan

Dan

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:55 PM

To give a better overview of ajax, here are a couple of well known sites that have utilised the technology.:

Google suggest
Google Maps
Google Mail

Hopefully now you will be able to say "oh, yea - that's ajax!"

#10 Lop

Lop

Speaks fluent binary

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:25 PM

I am very interested to know where I can get AJAX training online. Anyone find any good resources?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download