Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

- - - - -

Ado.net

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NeedHelp_*

Guest_NeedHelp_*

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:19 AM

What is ADO.NET??? :confused:

I think it is part of ASP, that is why I posted in here. Is it?

#2 Void

Void

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:53 PM

I think ADO.NET is C#

ADO.NET is an evolution of the ADO data access model that directly addresses user requirements for developing scalable applications. It was designed specifically for the web with scalability, statelessness, and XML in mind.

ADO.NET uses some ADO objects, such as the Connection and Command objects, and also introduces new objects. Key new ADO.NET objects include the DataSet, DataReader, and DataAdapter.

http://samples.gotdo...usOverview.aspx
Void

#3 brackett

brackett

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:47 AM

Just to flesh that out some....

ADO (ActiveX Data Objects) is Microsoft's layer on top of OLEDB (successor to ODBC) to allow applications to talk to databases in a (somewhat) provider agnostic way. ADO is used in classic ASP, and is the source of the common ADODB.Connection, ADODB.Recordset, ADODB.Command, etc. objects that are used to interact with databases.

ADO.NET is basically the successor to ADO that runs on the .NET Framework. It's used in ASP.NET, C#, VB.NET, etc. to talk to databases. It can use "native" drivers written by application vendors, or the older OLEDB or ODBC drivers. It contains objects such as Data.OleDbCommand, OleDbConnection, DataReader, etc. As you can see, it shares some programming model similarities with ADO - but adds a bunch of new features as well.

Probably the main change in the model is that ADO.NET is designed around a disconnected model (grab the data, disconnect, work with the data, connect, and send updates) whereas ADO was designed with a connected model (open cursor on server, get first row of data, update, get second row of data, update, etc.).

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download