Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      30 Sep
    rhossis

laptop hard disk seated beneath motherboard but with no access panel. 7 hours to replace :(

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      19 Sep
    Chall

I love it when you go to write a help thread, then while writing, you reach an enlightenment, and figure it out yourself.

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Developed by TechBiz Xccelerator
- - - - -

Creating an OS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NeedHelp_*

Guest_NeedHelp_*

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:48 AM

What consists of creating an OS in C++? What needs to be done to allow the computer to boot to your OS and what can you make it in? For instance, can you make it with Visual C++ 2005? Just curious on what needs to happen. :D

#2 TkTech

TkTech

The Crazy One

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:46 PM

you probably could, but i highly suggest NOT using Visual C++. By defualt it has way to many dependencies. For making your own os, check osdever.net and http://www.mega-tokyo.com/forum/ ( near the bottom ). These are resources ive used to build my hobby os. Also, make sure you know assembler, and id recomend you use C to make your first os.
Helpful CODECALL Links: Join Us, Guidelines, FAQ, Post a Tutorial

#3 Void

Void

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:43 PM

TkTech, where is your hobby OS at? I'd love to see it!
Void

#4 TkTech

TkTech

The Crazy One

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:19 PM

the older one is at tktech.org/orion.php . I havent updated the site yet.
Helpful CODECALL Links: Join Us, Guidelines, FAQ, Post a Tutorial

#5 Void

Void

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:34 AM

you probably could, but i highly suggest NOT using Visual C++. By defualt it has way to many dependencies. For making your own os, check osdever.net and http://www.mega-tokyo.com/forum/ ( near the bottom ). These are resources ive used to build my hobby os. Also, make sure you know assembler, and id recomend you use C to make your first os.

Building an OS as a hobby sounds like a lot of fun. How did you get into building OSes? How often to you work on it?
Void

#6 Guest_Kaabi_*

Guest_Kaabi_*

Posted 03 July 2006 - 03:41 PM

My friend once made an OS, it was a long time ago and he never told me what language he used to make it (I guess it must have been C++). It was so weird, but that's probably just because I'm so accustomed to Windows.

#7 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4,605 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:31 PM

I'd definitely recommend using assembler for a small-scale OS. Try making small generic component functions and programs, then build upwards from there. Not only is everything modularized so that bugs will be easier to find, but it will also be easier to modify and/or update. Assembler gives the advantage of being small and fast, and if you write your own routines you won't get a lot of the garbage dependancies that C and C++ have.

#8 Guest_NeedHelp_*

Guest_NeedHelp_*

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

Sounds a bit complicated writing in assembly though. I have no idea how to use it.

#9 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4,605 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:25 PM

Writing programs in assembler can be frustrating for large-scale applications, but if you break things up like I said, it shouldn't be impossible. If performance or size is your concern, then use assembler. DO NOT use C++. C++ has way too many libraries that it requires, too many dependencies, and MFC is terrible. Use C if you want to make a powerful OS without too much of a headache.

If assembler is your choice, there are some great tutorials lying around on the Internet; Google is great. Here are some good ones; I suggest you go in order. The last one is the best, but you might want to at least look over the first two to get your feet wet.

Tutorial for Assembler Programming Newbies
A Brief x86 Assembler Tutorial
The Art of Assembly Language Programming

#10 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

I would also choose to write an OS in Assembly, but not the entire OS. I would create the bootloader in Assembly, and all the other low-level stuff, and then switch to x86-mode, and use C. C is nowadays almost as fast as Assembly. The compilers are getting really good, and if you don't think they aren't good enough, you can always use optimizers and profilers.

I once wrote a bootloader, but if I had continued building on an OS, I would had continued with C - but probably some Assembly also.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?