Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a point?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Void

Void

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:36 PM

I submit to tons of download/shareware sites and receive hardly any downloads from them. I track there downloads and the total percentage adds up to only about 2.

Why should I continue to submit to these download/shareware sites? Most of these new download sites are just pulling software listings from the PAD repository and do no advertisment of their own. In other words, they are like huge Shareware FFAs.
Void

#2 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:57 PM

I submit to them all. Even if you do not get downloads you still get links back to your site/software which can never hurt. I know several people have stopped submitting to these websites and only submit to the large ones like download.com and tucows.

#3 Dan

Dan

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

Completely agree with Jordan...

The more prescence the better - I submit all of my sites to several online directories not for traffic at all, nobody browses directories online apart from dmoz however it increases the number of backlinks and ultimately means more search engine prescence and other benefits.

#4 smith

smith

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:58 AM

Submit to them only for the link backs. They never offer many downloads and are not worth just submitting for downloads.

for (int i;;) {

cout << "Smith";

}

#5 DevilsCharm

DevilsCharm

Programming God

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:46 AM

Yes, backlinks are important. However, if you want downloads, you need to try to promote your listings on the big download sites.

#6 Guest_Estupido_*

Guest_Estupido_*

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:08 AM

Keep on truckin, don't give up and your work will get out to the world eventually... Perhaps mail it to India and be the wave of the future.

#7 Guest_sn17_*

Guest_sn17_*

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:41 AM

Hey, why dont u guys use Google keywords for ur sites. Then u'll get google users too. I doesn't hurt to try it!

#8 Guest_jenmoreno_*

Guest_jenmoreno_*

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

doesn't it cost to use google? I never understood how to master adsense and adwords

#9 DevilsCharm

DevilsCharm

Programming God

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:50 AM

Completely agree with Jordan...

The more prescence the better - I submit all of my sites to several online directories not for traffic at all, nobody browses directories online apart from dmoz however it increases the number of backlinks and ultimately means more search engine prescence and other benefits.

Yes, when people submit to 100 directories, very few of them expect ANY traffic at all. It's just for the links.

#10 Void

Void

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:24 PM

Ah, the link-backs make it all worth it huh? I have to agree.
Void

#11 xXHalfSliceXx

xXHalfSliceXx

CC Leader

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1561 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

Keep moving forward with it man. Future, you may run into a program/file that you make that will be a big hit, and your name on it will tie into your other stuff

Posted Image
Posted Image

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download