Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

- - - - -

What is C#?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:03 AM

C# (pronounced C-sharp) is a new object oriented language from Microsoft and is derived from C and C++. It also borrows a lot of concepts from Java too including garbage collection. More at http://msdn.microsof...csharpintro.asp

Taken from the Definition on google search: What is C#?

#2 sigs

sigs

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:32 AM

when did this new language come into being. i havent heard anything about it till now.

#3 moonrise

moonrise

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:46 AM

just few days i heard about this language i thnl its much better than c and c++

#4 Ronin12

Ronin12

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:08 PM

C# has been around for a while now. You only just heard about it?
I love C#
I think its easier than C but very powerful. I love the support from Microsoft.

#5 Guest_NeedHelp_*

Guest_NeedHelp_*

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:54 AM

Like Ronin12 said, C# has been around a while.

#6 brackett

brackett

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:00 AM

Since C#, AFAIK, debuted with the .NET Framework 1.0, that'd mark it's public debut as January 2002. However, the C# spec was submitted to the ECMA in August 2000, and approved in December 2001.
So - yeah, it's been out and about for awhile now and has garnered a lot of attention. If you're doing Windows programming, I'm surprised you've just heard of it....

#7 hoser2001

hoser2001

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:21 AM

C# and OOP saved my life.

#8 Guest_NeedHelp_*

Guest_NeedHelp_*

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:29 AM

C# and OOP saved my life.

How so? Did it keep you from loosing your job?

#9 Kyle

Kyle

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

I've read a little about C# but haven't really attempted to learn it, is it a difficult language to learn?

#10 hoser2001

hoser2001

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:29 AM

How so? Did it keep you from loosing your job?

LOL no, I am currently an intern at a software company, I'm going to start my Junior year in the fall. My majors are Computer Science and Business Management. The reason I said that C# saved my life is because until this internship I hated coding, I swore that was the one thing I would not do with my life was waste my time coding. However I came to realize that to better myself in terms of being more likely to use my management skills I should learn the technical skills. Because I know how much people hate working for a boss that is a completely oblivious to what you're working on. I say C# and OOP saved my life because the .NET technologies are a wonderful set of tools and I found it (with almost no programming background) quite easy to learn. Since I've been working I have learned an valuable set of skills including the .NET development, general programming concepts that I never learned in college, and crazy database programming and normalization. I definately don't plan on coding for the rest of my life, but as of right now I actually enjoy the work I do. I'm just glad I'm not one of those people who go to college and change their major 10 times to only fail out of college after 2 years....

#11 Lop

Lop

Speaks fluent binary

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:18 PM

C# is very easy to learn. I'm glad that it helped you. Bosses that don't know anything are the worst. They just assume the impossible can be done or request it. Its good that you are learning the tech side of things before entering the field.

#12 Guest_littlefranciscan_*

Guest_littlefranciscan_*

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:33 AM

In musical terminology when you # sharp something you go up higher.. Is this somewhat the same for programming technology? Or are they totally incomparable..sharps?