Check out our Community Blogs

PBJ's Content

There have been 5 items by PBJ (Search limited from 04-December 19)

Sort by                Order  

#679449 Need books

Posted by PBJ on 25 May 2015 - 12:23 PM in Classes and Code Snippets

Quite broad of a list wouldn't you say?

#672286 KVM SWITCH

Posted by PBJ on 17 June 2014 - 03:40 PM in The Lounge

Vai,

I appreciate your continued feedback and will be purchasing the KVM switch in the not too distant future. Also, the price of video wall processors is definitely not in my budget right now. I think I'll stick to a KVM switch for the time being, and keep an eye out for any other solutions to my 4 in 1 monitor. +2 for you.

#672208 Computer Science Major

Posted by PBJ on 14 June 2014 - 06:39 AM in The Lounge

Alcamech,

I don't care what anyone says, Computer Science is the one most difficult majors to obtain but after earning it you'll easily see that it pays off. In my area, C.S requires a ridiculous amount of mathematics, physics, and other hard-sciences. Therefore, I went into Information Technology: w/ a concentration in Software Development. The change was definitely for me, I couldn't care less about mathematics & hard-sciences and could never wrap my head around why you would ever need that much math or hard-sciences for programming. I could see for maybe creating algorithms or something, but I don't care about that either; I'll just stick to the standards in my specific API or implement the one with the best average case. C.S is definitely the way to go if you don't mind taking irrelevant math and hard-science courses. I.T w/ some concentration (in my case Software Development), after my first 4 semesters, I was taking 100% computer courses and no b.s math/hard sciences... now that I look at the courses I took and the ones a c.s student would've taken... I took more hands-on and/or classes dealing with computers than a C.S student. Hope that helped.

#672207 KVM SWITCH

Posted by PBJ on 14 June 2014 - 06:21 AM in The Lounge

vai,

I appreciate the feedback, I'm not much of a hardware guy. I have modified my initial post with the link directly to the switch. What would I need in order to split my screen into 4 different sections, each with their own piece of the screen?

#672196 KVM SWITCH

Posted by PBJ on 13 June 2014 - 05:24 PM in The Lounge

Howdy,

I plan on buying a KVM switch (IOGEAR GCS2SU) for my workstation, I currently have three towers, two laptops (soon three), and a 40' flat screen television as a monitor. My keyboard is a logitech k400r (built in mouse). However, I will only be using my three towers and one of my laptops, and was thinking it would be a better idea to have a single monitor instead of one for each tower/laptop. One of my towers runs XP, another Arch Linux, my primary laptop runs Manjaro, my frankenstein laptop runs a current LFS I work on periodically, and my main tower runs Windows 8. I'm pretty sure that the KVM switch will work for all the different OSs, but wondered if anyone else had a similar setup and had success. From the reviews, it appears to be a safe buy, but I just wanted to ensure its functionality. Also, would you guys think it will be possible to have 4 sub-screens in the same 40' monitor area? If so, would you happen to know if this is the KVM switch to do the job? or should I be looking for a different unit?

Thanks

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download