Check out our Community Blogs

Prog's Content

There have been 66 items by Prog (Search limited from 02-June 19)

Sort by                Order  

#471102 Show line numbers in vim?

Posted by Prog on 23 March 2009 - 06:26 AM in Linux

On some boxes I have line numbers in the bottom status bar area and some I don't. I like them and would like to show them in all boxes. How do I turn them on/off?

#470275 Resource temporarily unavailable

Posted by Prog on 12 January 2009 - 10:54 AM in Linux

When I try to run crontab -e as a user I get this error:

jailshell: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Running as root works fine though. Any ideas what is causing this? What is a "fork"?

#470249 What is KDE/Gnome?

Posted by Prog on 05 January 2009 - 07:51 AM in Linux

I still don't understand. I know X11 provides the graphics but what is the difference in a "Desktop" and a "Manager" ? See the list here: Window Managers for X ?

#470235 X Windows/GUI Apps through SSH

Posted by Prog on 02 January 2009 - 05:53 PM in Linux Tutorials, Guides and Tips

I learned this and thought I would share. First check the /etc/ssh/ssh_config on the server you want to use X Applications/GUI - Look for this line:

# ForwardX11 no 

Uncomment and set to yes

ForwardX11 yes

Disconnected from SSH. Now when you want to connect via SSH and be able to run X application connect using this line:

ssh -X username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Once you are connected you should be able to run any X application and it will present the GUI locally.

#470234 What is KDE/Gnome?

Posted by Prog on 02 January 2009 - 05:44 PM in Linux

They are not a window manager and are referred to as a "Desktop". Along with CDE and XFCE. I thought that all of these things ran on top of X Windows and were called managers. If they are not a manager then what is a Desktop exactly?

#470233 Stocks on Linux

Posted by Prog on 02 January 2009 - 05:39 PM in Linux

I have been getting into stock market trading lately using ShareBuilder but I couldn't find any good tools to use for Linux. Anyone know of anyone or use one that has real time stocks? I would like charts, gain/loss tracking, etc.

I'd prefer one in Linux but will use Wine to emulate if needed. :(

#469781 Restart CVS Server?

Posted by Prog on 14 November 2008 - 09:46 AM in Linux

How do I restart xinet.d services?

#469780 MySQL dump all databases?

Posted by Prog on 14 November 2008 - 09:37 AM in Linux

There is also a way to iterate through all tables but I cannot remember it.

#469779 SCP put files

Posted by Prog on 14 November 2008 - 09:36 AM in Linux

How can I use SCP to put files on a remote server? I can't figure out any way to pass a password using SCP and it would also seem like a security risk to include my password in a script. Any ideas?

#469778 Uninstalling Opensuse11

Posted by Prog on 14 November 2008 - 09:34 AM in Linux

Just remove the partition, that will remove Linux.

#469709 Restart CVS Server?

Posted by Prog on 01 October 2008 - 03:55 AM in Linux

The CVS server has been locked for some time and it claims a user is in it. I contacted the user and he is not using it so I'm not sure why it is claiming that. My first logic step is to restart the service.... but how? Anyone know how to restart the CVS service?

#469628 FTP Limited Users?

Posted by Prog on 01 September 2008 - 06:14 AM in Linux

I'm sure this is in a configuration file somewhere.

#469627 Linux FTP Command

Posted by Prog on 01 September 2008 - 05:19 AM in Linux

Good to know! Thanks.

#469584 Linux.. Hello

Posted by Prog on 26 August 2008 - 02:34 PM in Introductions

Welcome to the forums!

#469583 Powerpoint (.ppt) files?

Posted by Prog on 26 August 2008 - 02:30 PM in Linux

What do you use to view PowerPoint (.ppt) files in Linux?

#469579 SVN Woes

Posted by Prog on 25 August 2008 - 08:01 AM in Linux

I've installed SVN and have it running with webdav. Everything seems ok but I get this error when I try to import my initial directory structure:

# svn import /tmp/subversion-layout/ http://127.0.0.1/svn/
svn: Could not use external editor to fetch log message; consider setting the $S                                                                                    VN_EDITOR environment variable or using the --message (-m) or --file (-F) option                                                                                    s
svn: None of the environment variables SVN_EDITOR, VISUAL or EDITOR are set, and                                                                                     no 'editor-cmd' run-time configuration option was found

Any ideas?

#469547 bash: /bin/rm: Argument list too long

Posted by Prog on 20 August 2008 - 07:10 AM in Linux

I'm trying to delete the mail items in a directory but when I execute this command:

rm -rf *

I get this error:

bash: /bin/rm: Argument list too long

Anyone have any ideas how I can delete these files?

#469462 GPG Error

Posted by Prog on 14 August 2008 - 07:05 AM in Linux

When I run this command:

# gpg --list-keys root

I get this error:

gpg: error reading key: public key not found

How do I fix this error?

#469406 Password Protect tar file

Posted by Prog on 11 August 2008 - 12:21 PM in Linux

How can I encrypt my tar.gz compressed files? I thought about using zip -e but I can't figure out how to add the password in a command line setting. IE:

# zip -e 
Enter Password:

Any ideas?

#469130 Low Sound?

Posted by Prog on 17 July 2008 - 04:48 PM in Linux

I have my volume turned all the way up but i still can't hear anything. In Windows it isn't loud but I can at least hear it. Anyone have any ideas how I can make it louder other than putting in head phones?

It is kind of a killer for Linux so far.

#469112 Online Game

Posted by Prog on 14 July 2008 - 01:17 PM in Linux

That game looks neat. Do you know if anyone actually plays it online?

#469089 Virtual PC and Ubuntu 8.0

Posted by Prog on 09 July 2008 - 06:05 AM in Linux

I'm on a different computer and trying to install Ubuntu as a virtual PC. I downloaded the ISO (32 bit) for Ubuntu 8 to my desktop. I then set the "CD" to capture an ISO. I boot and get the language screen plus the "boot" screen. I select "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer" OR "Install Ubuntu" and receive this error:

"An unrecoverable processor error has been encountered. The virtual machine will reset now."

And the only option I have is "Reset". Anyone ran into this or know how to fix this error?

#469083 8.10 fresh install.. help

Posted by Prog on 07 July 2008 - 11:02 AM in Linux

Did you resolve this issue? Isn't there a new release out now? Why not just "manually" partition your hds?

#469082 Ubuntu 8 problems?

Posted by Prog on 07 July 2008 - 11:01 AM in Linux

I'm going to try Ubuntu 8 but I've read people are having a lot of problems. I've even seen it compared to Vista... :(

What problems did you have? How did you fix them?

#469081 helooo

Posted by Prog on 07 July 2008 - 10:58 AM in Introductions

Hello xxKings, welcome to the forum!

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download